Minecraft Overviewer

Started by Thorin, March 28, 2012, 05:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 10:18:06 AM
I'm 50/50 on the all signs idea, part of me wants to read 'em all but I can see why someone would want to hide others.

Some people label their chest, which is a good example.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Or their secret entrances to the Batcave ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Is it possible to have three choices on the Overviewer - No Signs, Major Signs, All Signs, where Major Signs have text surrounded with [], {}, and **?

I find even the signs labeling which way to Beach Station, for instance, are useless on the Overviewer map because they aren't rotated in the same direction as they are in the actual world, so they may be pointing you exactly wrong.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 04, 2012, 10:47:22 AM
Is it possible to have three choices on the Overviewer - No Signs, Major Signs, All Signs, where Major Signs have text surrounded with [], {}, and **?

I find even the signs labeling which way to Beach Station, for instance, are useless on the Overviewer map because they aren't rotated in the same direction as they are in the actual world, so they may be pointing you exactly wrong.

Overviewer is a flexable script, so basically you write a function that defines the filter condition, then add a menu item that is linked to it... A separate signs pass has to be run to add the data to the map. So for example you could say "If line3 contains blaaa" show sign....

Tom

I was thinking that the All Signs options would only show a union of the other sign groups. so it wouldn't actually show /all/ signs, just all of the ones that are shown via other groups.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 04, 2012, 10:59:13 AM
I was thinking that the All Signs options would only show a union of the other sign groups. so it wouldn't actually show /all/ signs, just all of the ones that are shown via other groups.

I like that idea.

So what is left to decide is:

- Names for sign types (what appears in the dropdown)
- Method of filtering (as far as I know we can be specific about line (1,2,3) and text (filter on characters or key words)

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: Tom on April 04, 2012, 10:59:13 AM

I like that idea.

So what is left to decide is:

- Names for sign types (what appears in the dropdown)
- Method of filtering (as far as I know we can be specific about line (1,2,3) and text (filter on characters or key words)
It's basically just a python script. Anything can be matched, sign data is passed in as 4 strings.

Mr. Analog

So will this actually mark things as points of interest on the map (like the spawn location pointer?)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 11:40:45 AM
So will this actually mark things as points of interest on the map (like the spawn location pointer?)
It will show them up as signs are now. But instead of all signs, you can filter by type. Signs will have to have some kind of indicator in them that we can filter against mind you.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 04, 2012, 11:42:26 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 11:40:45 AM
It will show them up as signs are now. But instead of all signs, you can filter by type. Signs will have to have some kind of indicator in them that we can filter against mind you.

The signs button (survival day time) will contain additional check boxes and names, that we will define... just to clarify for those that didn't notice the button.

Tom

Ok, so I've updated the POI script. It'll grab signs for the things Lazy has suggested, as well as Enchanting tables, and Cauldrons (in the Other) category.

One thing I didn't quite understand was the second form of the Personal Buildings category. I'm not sure how I should handle that, as there doesn't seem to be anything special in the text.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 15, 2012, 06:41:42 AM
Ok, so I've updated the POI script. It'll grab signs for the things Lazy has suggested, as well as Enchanting tables, and Cauldrons (in the Other) category.

One thing I didn't quite understand was the second form of the Personal Buildings category. I'm not sure how I should handle that, as there doesn't seem to be anything special in the text.

You might want to post a legend of the sign rules you have used so we can update our signs, a few different things where proposed here.....

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 15, 2012, 12:28:27 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 15, 2012, 06:41:42 AM

You might want to post a legend of the sign rules you have used so we can update our signs, a few different things where proposed here.....
I implemented your suggestions. The last ones in the thread.

All of the following can appear in any of the four text lines optionally surrounded by other text:

Directions: <--- ----> ^  (must contain three dashes, can contain more)
Important POIs: {StuffHere}
Personal POIs: [StuffHere]
Trading POIs: *StuffHere*

It also automatically handles enchantment tables and cauldrons.

Mr. Analog

Can we flip "Important" and "Personal"?

I've already marked a bunch of signs thinking the square brackets were the important indicators.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2012, 06:31:25 PM
Can we flip "Important" and "Personal"?

I've already marked a bunch of signs thinking the square brackets were the important indicators.
Sure, I realize I gave you the wrong one last night :-x