New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Started by Mr. Analog, November 02, 2015, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I'm trying really hard not to talk about it because I don't want to give away spoilers because I don't know how far others have gotten in the series.  I agree that it's not Star Trek the way Star Trek has always been, with civilized humans and the Prime Directive and all that.  I blame the recent movies for rebooting the franchise into this much darker and grittier setting.  Still, the things that have happened since the mid-season break have been interesting and have kept me interested in watching to see what happens next.  Even though forty years of reading and watching sci-fi has made me pretty good at predicting what's going to come next.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 16, 2018, 04:11:29 PM
Even though forty years of reading and watching sci-fi has made me pretty good at predicting what's going to come next.

I mean they foreshadowed the hell out of what was going to happen. I could spell it all out here but I think Mr. A is the only one not fully up to date.

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 16, 2018, 06:38:01 PM
And some of us have no interest
This doesn't appear to add anything to this thread. Why post it?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Are you actually asking a question or just making a statement in question form?

Mr. Analog

ANYway...

I'm caught up with the first half, I'll probably start watching the second half this weekend unless I get distracted.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Thorin on January 17, 2018, 01:53:32 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 16, 2018, 06:38:01 PM
And some of us have no interest

This doesn't appear to add anything to this thread. Why post it?

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 17, 2018, 07:33:26 AM
Are you actually asking a question or just making a statement in question form?

Well, I used the word "appear" so that indicates I'm not certain what the point was.  So then I ask what the point was.  Do you really think I make statements in question form?  That seems passive-aggressive, that really doesn't seem like me, I'm pretty sure I'm quite direct and straightforward.

So why did you bother posting that you have no interest?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on January 17, 2018, 09:57:18 AM
So why did you bother posting that you have no interest?

In response to someone saying "everyone except Mr. Analog is caught up", I was actually making it clear that once Mr. A says he is caught up you guys can go nuts with the spoilers.

Of course I'm an adult, so in general I can choose to avoid threads with likely spoilers... but in this particular case the topic is interesting to me however I have no actual plans on getting caught up in the latest content myself so just letting you guys know. That's it.

Thorin

Alright that makes sense.

I was chatting with Mr. A yesterday and did some reading. I thought Discovery was set in the rebooted universe, but apparently it's supposed to be in the prime timeline ten years before TOS. It just doesn't fit, though. They'd've been better off setting it in the rebooted movies' timeline.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Well, the latest episode had a twist that I wasn't expecting!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Everyone all caught up?  Can we talk about how this is going?

.. an entire city-sized ship (that actually sounds kinda small) and it's basically 15 v 15 with a couple small auto-turrets?  WTF.  Nevertheless, I'm intrigued enough to keep watching to see what happens next.  But like Mr. Analog said, it's not really TREK Trek.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I'm one episode behind - really disappointed with the mirror-mirror stuff so far, I thought it would reveal that the current plot was in a twisted parallel universe (which, technically, it still could be) but I digress.

So far the only character who's been on point with ToS has been Harry Mudd and that fact in itself depresses me greatly.

IMO this is a show not meant for Trekkies, this is a show meant to take an existing property and sell it to somebody else - and it's vastly frustrating. I mean it would be as dumb as just throwing away the whole Star Wars mythos in one movie OH SNIPPITY-SNAPPERS

...at least you didn't fail me Bladerunner 2049 gently caresses...

*we ARE in the worst possible timeline
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

"one episode behind" well that might help a little, you should get fully caught up.

However I generally agree this is not a series designed for fans. I find references to familiar things are introduced less ham fisted than Enterprise yet are somewhat more jaring given how absolutely jaring the difference in feeling is between the universe we know and how the show has been progressing.

I find myself liking characters like Saru, Stamets and Tilly but I generally don't like Burnham which the show is largely centered around.

Even if we look at characters that are considered criminal in other series such as Chakotay (terrorist), Paris (reformed criminal) they are still over all likable and reasonable characters. I think Eddington maybe the only exception from the top of my head as far as a Federation officer that went bad and was at least characterised.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 31, 2018, 10:29:20 AM
*we ARE in the worst possible timeline

Wouldn't the worst timeline have no Orville?