KVM HDMI not working?

Started by Mr. Analog, August 21, 2015, 10:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Hey guys,

I have a 4 port KVM that includes HDMI and USB hub for up to 4 machines, the problem is when I leave one machine idle and try to go back to it I get no signal.

Then I try switching back and I get no signal.

Now, I hooked up my monitor directly to 2 of the 3 machines I'm switching and that works fine, so is it the KVM that's broken or .... ?

This is really frustrating
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Just set your machines to not turn off monitor or go to sleep and you will fix the issue.  If the voltage single isn't working from the KVM the computers won't recognize the switch.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Is that even possible with Windows 7? yes, this is a setting in Win 7

Ok, I've set it, I'm going to try to reconnect the KVM
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

No luck, I unplug the hdmi directly from the laptop and put the plugs back to the KVM and I get "no signal"

Is it possible I've fried the hdmi in the KVM?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Might have.  We have seen issues like that with our more expensive KVMs here at work.

I would suggest things like TeamViewer instead of KVM anyway, more reliable and more options for connection.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

At work we almost exclusively use DRAC or VMs now

Higher end consumer stuff might have vPro features available
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-active-management-technology.html

Tom

The only time I've had "signal" issues like that with HDMI was/is with my media center setup. Sometimes, for some reason, the reciever will get "confused" and refuse to see the media box, and will then not output anything to the TV so the TV just gives me the "no signal" error. I've found monitors to be a bit more tolerant of not having anything hooked up. That said, the mac mini and OSX really hates it when the display is switched via a kvm, if it doesn't have a monitor connected, or a trick resistor on one of the dvi/vga pins, OSX will decide I want it to set a 480p or 768p resolution, and then I can't fix that, even over VNC till I re-connect the display. It's SOOO annoying.

If KVM's "just worked" I think it'd be more bettar for a few local connections to computers you have right in front of you. Having to set up software on everything is just annoying :o sadly a lot of KVMs are @%&#.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I know, that's why this is so frustrating, this is also why I tested out my monitor by plugging in both HDMI ports (to each machine in on the switch) works just fine when directly connected, doesn't work at all when going through the switch.

When it's working it's really convenient because I can just tab out of one machine to another at the touch of a button, now not so much...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

...and today it's working again

So weird
By Grabthar's Hammer