boredom can lead to depression?

Started by Thorin, April 04, 2015, 02:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

We've talked quite a bit about depression and anxiety and all that jazz here, so this caught my eye and I thought I'd post it: http://ti.me/1F9PjMC

Basically, it says that on the one hand we don't want to over-stimulate ourselves, but on the other hand we don't want to under-stimulate ourselves or else we could end up depressed.

I had never thought in terms of under-stimulation leads to boredom leads to learned helplessness leads to depression, but yeah, it makes sense.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 04, 2015, 02:57:16 PM
Basically, it says that on the one hand we don't want to over-stimulate ourselves...

I think therein lies the "problem" -- when we are used to virtually CONSTANT stimulation (often of the virtual kind) our brain builds up a steady hit of dopamine and whatnot ... so when we are in a "cold turkey" state (e.g. phone dead / recharging while on a bus and nothing to read) it triggers a kind of emotional state very simular to depression ... or withdrawal, more accurately.

I've found that, anyway.

Balance is the key, knowing yourself and being mindful and present etc. when you are in the midst of your first steps towards that emotional state = makes it a bit less scary and anxiety-inducing. Closing your eyes and thinking about the fact that you are FEELING what you are feeling can itself be extremely helpful, calming, and hope-inducing.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I'll say this much, if I am depressed and BUSY, coping with things is easier. In fact I've found that if I can get busy doing something it can kick depression.

Then again when I have free time on my hands sometimes it's good to just kick back and do nothing, sit there and stare out a window and daydream... there's a lot to be said about that because it often doesn't take away anything and gives back so much

So-called "goofing off" is where things get complicated, I think to myself I should be doing something while I'm doing something else and I end up enjoying neither.

the mind is a strange place
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 07, 2015, 11:09:50 AM
I'll say this much, if I am depressed and BUSY, coping with things is easier. In fact I've found that if I can get busy doing something it can kick depression.

Goofing off is fine if kept in balance, instead of becoming a habit aka procrastination...

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 07, 2015, 11:09:50 AM

Just watched this classic Ze Frank about getting something STARTED. Because continuing on with a task is easy enough, it's that FIRST step that is often the most anxiety-inducing (and takes the longest to happen!)

"An Invocation for Beginnings"

(personally I've been facing a challenge in getting truly "started" on something -- a few somethings, actually -- because I want that something to be done to some degree of "perfection" ... but really I admit now that I guess I've just been using that as an excuse for delaying its start the last little while...) <-- intentionally vague since it's a universal truth in The Human Experience, init?

PS: sometimes getting "busy doing something" is all that is needed -- and indeed, that "something" could literally be ANYTHING. And suddenly you are "in the zone" and feeling accomplished and confident. Sometimes just washing and putting away a couple of plates or wiping a counter or cleaning my glasses can be enough for me to get off my ass for the bigger tasks...

Mr. Analog

If I find myself putting something off more than once I question how much I actually want to do it, if the answer is still YES then I do it at the first possible convenience. Then its all about building habits around that activity. I tend to timebox some activities and schedule them into my week so I know that Monday is Games night, Friday is Streaming / Doodling, etc

I've also started using tools for managing and tracking tasks, having something visual to show progress helps in a big way (thanks Trello!)

Then again, sometimes you need decompression time anyway to just do whatever, sit back, watch TV whatever it is. Nothing's a waste of time really
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 07, 2015, 11:22:41 AM
If I find myself putting something off more than once I question how much I actually want to do it, if the answer is still YES then I do it at the first possible convenience. Then its all about building habits around that activity. I tend to timebox some activities and schedule them into my week so I know that Monday is Games night, Friday is Streaming / Doodling, etc

I've also started using tools for managing and tracking tasks, having something visual to show progress helps in a big way (thanks Trello!)

Then again, sometimes you need decompression time anyway to just do whatever, sit back, watch TV whatever it is. Nothing's a waste of time really

Sometimes it can be enough to just remind yourself that for most of us, the very process of creation has the ability to bring us joy :)