PIZERO the $5 computer

Started by Lazybones, November 26, 2015, 12:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Tom

Seems cool :) I bet it gets used a lot in robotics and IoT applications.

Especially places that already use a Pi, but would like a smaller controller.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

What kind of profit margin is Staples or Best Buy gonna make on this puppy?

;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Electronics like computers usually have low to now profit margin, which is why they will try and upsell you on the accessories / support plans

The same as Dell, Apple, Amazon ...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The five dollar Pi Zero still needs a mouse, a keyboard, a hard drive, and a monitor, if you want to use it like a desktop / laptop computer.  That's where they'll make their money.

Man alive, though, imagine attaching a 500GB SSD and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and then plugging this into the back of your 60"-80" monitor in the living room...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on November 26, 2015, 01:33:37 PM
The five dollar Pi Zero still needs a mouse, a keyboard, a hard drive, and a monitor, if you want to use it like a desktop / laptop computer.  That's where they'll make their money.

Man alive, though, imagine attaching a 500GB SSD and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and then plugging this into the back of your 60"-80" monitor in the living room...

It is really meant to be used for Robots and electronic projects, but even then you will tend to have a number of the things needed already lying around..

This version is based on the First Pie so it is a little under powered for multimedia but man even with the parts costs you can make some interesting things for cheap.

Edit: also if you watch the video they are giving away a whole batch with the next issue of their official magazine, literally attached to the front cover.

Tom

It is based on the original pi hardware, but they said it was a higher clocked version. So it might be ok with 720p now. lol.

I actually installed xbmc on my first Pi and it ran ok. a little sluggish and some content played ok.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!