Mysterious hard drive

Started by Tom, December 23, 2015, 06:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Ok... So I'm messing with my desktop, see if it can't play some windurs gaems. There's this 640GB Seagate in there that's just not been plugged in for a while. Now, I was like 100% sure it was my drive, and may have had a clean copy of windows on it. Turns out, no...

I just booted it up. It has windows 7, all the drivers were wrong so its loaded up in like 1024x768 or something dumb. The strangest part? It has World of Warcraft and Hearthstone installed on it. I have never ONCE installed either of those games on any system, ever. Ever.

Where in the heck did this drive come from? Or who was messing with my drive? Like I just don't get it. I'm very confused. Very very confused.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

A little more detective work hints that it IS actually my drive. Uses my normal username, the steam games I'd install (like at frag in 2014 for instance), but it also has Ventrilo, Wow, and HearthStone installed on Sept 25 2014.

I left on my second trip on Oct 9th. Who the heck was messing with my computer?

Thorin

If that was installed Sept 25th and you left Oct 9th, then it was installed while you were still home, right?

Is that machine password-protected, or could your neighbours have come over and started it up and logged in without a password?  (or a difficult password)?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I'm not sure I even had my desktop hooked up at that point. When I got back from Fragapalooza I remember just leaving my computer under my desk and ignoring it for a very very long time.

And it is usually password protected.

At one point last year, a friend stayed over, but I can't remember if they used my computer at all... Or if it was then, or before the first trip. Honestly, I can't remember.

Mr. Analog

If Battle.net is installed (for Hearthstone, etc) it SHOULD still have the last login, which will be an email address, maybe from that you can figure out who / what / when

You can also pinpoint the install from logs under C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 24, 2015, 06:59:16 AM
If Battle.net is installed (for Hearthstone, etc) it SHOULD still have the last login, which will be an email address, maybe from that you can figure out who / what / when

You can also pinpoint the install from logs under C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net
I was going to look around like that, but I forgot. The drive has been wiped and the computer has a fresh new W10 install. Though wiping the drive wasn't necessary just yet, I was trying to see if windows would let me combine both the SSD and HDD into a hdd+cache type setup, and NOPE it wont.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on December 24, 2015, 10:58:51 AM

I was going to look around like that, but I forgot. The drive has been wiped and the computer has a fresh new W10 install. Though wiping the drive wasn't necessary just yet, I was trying to see if windows would let me combine both the SSD and HDD into a hdd+cache type setup, and NOPE it wont.

If your mother board includes an intel controller there is often a driver option to do that, however I would say it isn't worth it.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 24, 2015, 11:11:40 AM
Quote from: Tom on December 24, 2015, 10:58:51 AM

If your mother board includes an intel controller there is often a driver option to do that, however I would say it isn't worth it.
It's an AMD box. I was hoping for some kind of full writeback cache. All its going to do mostly is boot, and play games. So it could load the most played games into the ssd, but I wouldn't have to manage what games and apps are installed where.