Main Menu

Steam Link

Started by Mr. Analog, December 29, 2015, 04:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Well finally hooked this bad boy up, overall I am impressed with how well it performed (after the initial update).

Its easy to set up and verify and the stream quality / response time while wired was pretty good. I took it through its paces on GTAV and I was impressed that for the most part it managed to keep up. There is a slight input delay even with a wired controller that was noticeable but the game is playable.

Some games didn't work so well, I first tried Fallout 4 and while the launcher menu came up I was unable to interact with any of the options (clicks didn't register).

I also discovered that Starbound does NOT have controller support, which seems strange to me.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Fallout is surprising as you can totally tell it's a console port game.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Fallout is also annoying since it pops up that stupid launcher/settings app first, which then lets you start the game. That really screwed with streaming when i tried it. I did get clicks through, but it first only displayed that popup, really big. heh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on December 30, 2015, 02:11:18 PM

iPresentInterval=0

...but seriously I'm pretty sure it was designed from the ground up to work well on a variety of systems. Unlike a certain man who dresses as a bat
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 30, 2015, 02:31:46 PM

iPresentInterval=0

...but seriously I'm pretty sure it was designed from the ground up to work well on a variety of systems. Unlike a certain man who dresses as a bat
Except the controls. Ugh.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 30, 2015, 02:36:51 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 30, 2015, 02:31:46 PM

iPresentInterval=0

Except the controls. Ugh.

Fallout controls? Keyboard+Mouse is pretty easy to use??

Then again I'm comparing that to the Witcher III which was like ... alien
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

From what I've seen, the pc controls are an afterthought. Like they mapped certain actions to the mouse buttons in a non intuitive way, as if they were controller shoulder buttons, etc. keys on the keyboard far away from where maybe they should be. You can remap a lot of things, but yeah.. I hear its a common thing with bethesda games. Console + controller is primary, pc is secondary and gets sub par controls.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 30, 2015, 02:44:12 PM
From what I've seen, the pc controls are an afterthought. Like they mapped certain actions to the mouse buttons in a non intuitive way, as if they were controller shoulder buttons, etc. keys on the keyboard far away from where maybe they should be. You can remap a lot of things, but yeah.. I hear its a common thing with bethesda games. Console + controller is primary, pc is secondary and gets sub par controls.

???????

I think I only remapped two keys; VATS and grenades (V and Mouse 4, respectively), because I was so used to it in F3 otherwise everything else is super easy?

E: Interact (staple of tons of games)
Tab: Pip-Boy
R: Reload (standard)
(hold) R: Holster
Shift: Run (standard)
Ctrl: Crouch (standard)
Alt: Melee

Not that alien from other games (and certainly no hold alt right click direction key combos lol)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I just remember hearing a lot of complaining, especially about the mouse buttons. Also some keys are on the right hand side of the keyboard from what I saw in the config, which is far away from the wsad.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 30, 2015, 03:20:59 PM
I just remember hearing a lot of complaining, especially about the mouse buttons. Also some keys are on the right hand side of the keyboard from what I saw in the config, which is far away from the wsad.

There are literally no controls on the right hand side (just Pip Boy shortcuts). Default config:

QuoteW - forward
A - strafe left
S - back
D - strafe right

E - interact
Q - V.A.T.S
R - reload
R (hold) - holster weapon
V - 3rd person view
M - map
I - inventory

Shift - run
Ctrl - crouch (stealth mode)
Space - jump
Alt - melee
Alt (hold) - throw grenade

Tab - PipBoy

Lft mouse btn - shoot
Rgh mouse button - aim
mid mouse button - 3rd person view

So those people were either on crack or had some kind of weird custom hobo setup (like people who use right click as jump and invert axis LOL)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Will enter is used in the game and is on the right side :P.  I highly recommend using a phone or tablet for your pipboy. It's an awesome addition!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Eh it's just as easy in game (and gives you a break from the action if you need it)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Its the pip boy stuff i was talking about, but also when you're building stuff, and the initial character creation. Switching through lists of things is a wee bit awkward.

Mr. Analog

It's really not

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

By Grabthar's Hammer