Main Menu

R.I.P Dave Mirra

Started by Darren Dirt, February 04, 2016, 08:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

I've never been heavily into the X-Games but this dude was such a legendary force in his field that even I recognize his name.

Tragic, a huge success and somehow he got onto the path of taking his own life -- and a father of 2 young kids... also frighteningly ironic to see what his final tweet was:

Quote from: https://twitter.com/davemirra/status/672754613662142464

So sad to hear the passing of legend Scott Weiland. Rip Scott https://t.co/8xic8EJQVu
Dave Mirra (@davemirra)
December 4, 2015

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

Man, this is the year it seems.

One of the founders of Earth, Wind and Fire passed away today too
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 04, 2016, 11:16:04 PM

...and also on January 31st Sir Terry "king of presenters" Wogan for all you anglophiles out there...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 05, 2016, 09:35:25 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 04, 2016, 11:16:04 PM

...and also on January 31st Sir Terry "king of presenters" Wogan for all you anglophiles out there...

I also found out that the guy who took over from Mel Blanc on Daffy Duck's voice passed away

I guess it's natural that as you age celebrities like these become less alive but still, it seems like it's all jamming up together
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Confirmation Bias at work!

But, yeah. Mortality becomes a louder blip on the radar as you get older...

Tom

I don't know if it qualifies as confirmation bias. It's just a lot of people who were "old" when we were kids that are now old'er. They are all going to cluster. :(

Now if you mean in a way that people are dying all the time, and this is nothing special, then I suppose?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

CB means essentially that the frequency of events seems high when we start paying more attention to those events for whatever reason (usually personal e.g. when expecting our first kid we suddenly noticed a ton of pregnant couples walking around wherever we went etc.) and often we overlook/ignore the data that is contrary to our filter/bias/belief/worldview.

Happens a lot in poker when folks complain about their pocket AA "always" getting cracked, or their flopped draws "never" hitting etc.

re. deaths that forum thread "not dead yet" or w/e it is called there are plenty of 80+ survivors from the original post.