Main Menu

STS-114 Scrubbed

Started by Mr. Analog, July 13, 2005, 12:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Today's shuttle launch has been scrubbed, due to a low-level fuel cutoff sensor malfunction.

I guess we'll see Discovery launch at a later date...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

The above image was on the NASA webpage. I think that's actually a faked image.

It's an edit from the command centre scenes in "Contact" ;) *jabs Mr. A in ribs*

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Ahh, Contact, it would have made a great Outer Limits episode but a crappy movie was what we ended up with.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

This truely is sad.  As much as i believe the world space program is a joke, and a massive waste of money, the fact that its doing nothing but costing evern more money is such a bigger waste.

Mr. Analog

The suttle systems are at their operation limits the program should be completed and replaced by more cost effective vehicles. There is a need to put stuff and repair stuff in space (commercial or otherwise), it's extremely valuable real estate and there has to be more investment in keeping a home field advantage there.

Space is telecom.
Space is cartography.
Space is Information gathering.
Space is the future.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Im not dening that spaces isnt the grounds for a modern economy, and the shuttle being grounded for 2.5 years hasnt stopped companies from launching satilites.

Heck I dont believe its even stopped people from going to and coming from the ISS.

Mr. Analog

True, but the cost of throwaway rockets adds up over time...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I dont think money really matters when countries are running on trillions in debt and billions of deficit.

A low cost solution to get into, and return from orbit would be the ultimate dream i agree for corporations.  You gotta wonder about that though, companies do cost analysis all the time.  Wouldnt they have already looked at R&D of a solution vs. disposable rockets?  Id be willing to bet that the cost of sending a satilite into space using a generic russian built workhorse-rocket is rather cheap (in a relative sense).  The technology is whicked matured.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"Wouldnt they have already looked at R&D of a solution vs. disposable rockets?  Id be willing to bet that the cost of sending a satilite into space using a generic russian built workhorse-rocket is rather cheap (in a relative sense).  The technology is whicked matured.
It's the R&D that is super espensive, with the chance of no pay off. I think they are all waiting for someone else to figure it out.

If I recall correctly, fuel is one of the primary costs, and the russian rockets are no different.

Thats why balloon launches and drop launches from high altitude are being looked at. Rockets are not very efficient during lift off.

Then there is the deam of the space elevator.

Shayne

Quote from: "Lazybones"Then there is the deam of the space elevator.

...ooooooh..elevator :)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I call your "Family Guy screen cap with bonus Photochopping" and raise you a classically-timed "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Lois, this isn't my Batman glass".

btw: HOLY CRAP THIS SITE HAS LOTS OF FG QUOTES! (Oddly enough, called http://www.familyguyquotes.com/ )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.