Gears of War "Clusterluck" Achievement

Started by Shayne, November 22, 2006, 09:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

Last night while playing some Gears of War online I got to talking with a couple other players and they were discussing the easiest way to get the "Clusterluck" Achievement.  One of them said he found a video on YouTube that showed him how to do it and within 10 minutes he had got it.

After that match (where i finished 2nd with 5 kills including 2 with the chainsaw) I thought I would check out the video and see if I can unlock it.  Here is the video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9N-c2eVmv8 and within 10 minutes I too had unlocked the achievement.  It is worth noting though that after the 6th successful detonation of 3 locust baddies I unlocked it, meaning that I did it 4 other times playing though the game.

Shayne

btw: this scene is about 5 minutes into the first Act, I just created a new campaign on casual difficulty.

Cova

I haven't done it yet, but that is one of the 2 places I know of to get that achievement easily.  The other is in act 3 - that area where the floor can break and drop you down in the pit with infinite wretch spawn.  On casual, just fall down there, run around a bit to gather some wretches, then tag one with a grenade and roll away - repeat till out of grenades then load checkpoint.

That achievement and the final cog-tag one (all 30 tags) are the only 2 I have left to unlock, since I don't plan to play vs mode at all.

Shayne

I'm ever so close to the cog-tag I'm only 6 away, my bro I think is 4 away.  We are going through co-op on insane (I'm doing the Dom part for those achievements) and have a guide we grabbed from GameFAQs with all the locations (i don't want to do it again :P)

The factory floor.  I did fall through there and killed a bunch before dieing this could very well be where I grabbed a couple.  I thought perhaps the hallway where you first meet the wretches might also work.

Online is pretty kick ass.  Why not invest in XBL Gold?

Cova

Ach - using spoilers to find all 30 tags takes the achievement out of the achievement.  I need another 5 or so, but I've found all mine the old-fashioned way so far.  I'll probably play through solo on casual again soon for easy cog-searching and cluster-luck'ing.

And I don't invest in gold cause I'm a cheap anti-social bastard - but at least I'm an honest one :)  Even if I had gold I wouldn't play vs mode though, I've never been a fan of deathmatch style play (adding teams and objectives doesn't help much).  Give me a game with like 8-man co-op mode (say mix Serious Sam with GoW) and I'd have a good reason to get gold.

TheDruid

Quote from: Cova on November 22, 2006, 05:32:55 PM
Ach - using spoilers to find all 30 tags takes the achievement out of the achievement.

I disagree, you still have to do the dirty work of getting them. The only thing using a guide does is save you time. With all the things i want to do in my spare time, running around blindly for hours on end is not my idea of fun. I achieve the achievements that I think are fun and a good challenge. I use guides for achievements that are obviously time sinks. So many games, so little time, for me its about optimizing my game experience vs time invested. Gives me more time to play more games, spend time with my wife, watch TV, play Heroscape, disc golf, got to a pub and socialize, house chores or ugg do work.

Regardless, i don’t feel guilty at all for using a guide if it buys me time to do other things, and no i don’t think it cheapens the experience, sometimes these things are challenging alone just completing them with a guide, like find all hidden 60 CD in Saints row or tag all 75 gang locations in Saints row, heck some of them still took me a half hour even with a guide pointing me to where they are (those two achievements with the guide still took me 8 hrs of game play).
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Melbosa

I totally agree with you Cova.  More coop would mean more gold accounts I think.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!