Annoying Web Design: Artist Category

Started by Mr. Analog, March 09, 2009, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I hit a lot of art sites and one thing that constantly annoys me is the use of "indirection" for hiding images so that I won't "steal" them (download them to disk). Any moron with Greasemonkey can leech a site but most of the time stuff like that is just easily found in cache, so why do web designers and artists in particular constantly try to give users the runaround on content they've already downloaded locally?

Speaking as an artist, the best piece of advice I ever got was if you don't want to lose control of your work don't post it online. Period.

My mind boggles! *boggle boggle boggle*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Remember, though, that there are a lot of users that don't know how to get to their cache.  We are still the computer literate elite, especially now that computers have become mainstream (compared to 15 years ago) - grannies and jocks are all using them!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 09, 2009, 09:37:41 PM
Remember, though, that there are a lot of users that don't know how to get to their cache.  We are still the computer literate elite, especially now that computers have become mainstream (compared to 15 years ago) - grannies and jocks are all using them!

I guess, but silliness like disabling right-click (and the like) tends to forget that Google will index the images (especially if they are tagged) making them even easier to collect.
By Grabthar's Hammer