Bang! Zoom! Send the ISS Right to the Moon!

Started by Mr. Analog, July 15, 2008, 04:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Ralph Kramden would maybe have suggested this if the ISS had got in his face, but it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting as this article by Michael Benson (author of "Beyond: Visions of the Interplanetary Probes," writes frequently on space science issues.).

He suggests that rather than moving the ISS into a higher orbit, we strap some bigger engines to it and place it in orbit of the moon.

Read all about this interesting idea here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/11/AR2008071102394.html
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Pfft, I'm bumping this it's a freakin' cool idea.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Man, that's a brilliant idea!  I especially agree with the bit about that since it's already in space we really don't need to put chemical rockets on it to move it - I'd love to see something in space with ion drives!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

(also, wow, must've missed this post 17 months ago!)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

I missed this one as well.. but given that the toilets and water recycling systems break down all the time. I am not sure it is that good of an idea.

Mr. Analog

Even if it were just a Lagrange point for storage it would be one step closer to making the moon just a bit more accessible, also all the money that went into the ISS won't end up as just another falling star (also cool).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I think that's a bad idea, cuz it's dangerous... Having the "dark" side of the moon get exposed and studied in full detail means "they" will probably launch their attack on Earth a little sooner than they originally planned, while still very much ahead of us in terms of weaponry.

Now, to leave you folks with the question of "is that some plot summary from a work of fiction, and if so is it possible that the fictional work is partly based on actual fact?" ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Hah.  Iron Sky!

tagline: In 1945 The Nazis Went To The Moon. In 2018 They Are Coming Back.

I'm guessing it's gonna suck.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on December 26, 2009, 03:23:26 PM
Hah.  Iron Sky!

It's done by the "Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning" guys, so it might suck, or it might be overflowing with Euro awesomeness.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Hah.  Iron Sky!

Some of the worst movies are also the best, laugh out loud movies :D (a la MST3K). Heck, one of my favourite movies now is Wild Wild Planet, it's just SO bad, but it cracks me up so much too!

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 27, 2009, 01:39:41 PM
Hah.  Iron Sky!

It's done by the "Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning" guys, so it might suck, or it might be overflowing with Euro awesomeness.

EXACTAMUNDO!!
By Grabthar's Hammer