Sink Hole?

Started by Thorin, June 10, 2010, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Turns out it's not so much a sink hole, but a vent hole.

The Chilean government is now trying to figure out how to move their capitol city as the likelihood of this happening again is very high.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Vent hole? As in volcano? Lets hope it isn't still active :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

I first heard of it first week of June, via this forum thread (which quickly turned into an "end of the world" discussion ;) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 11, 2010, 07:21:17 AM

Yes, the capitol city is built on a giant mound of volcanic ash which, as it turns out, was sitting on top of a volcano.

Understandably the Chilean Government is desperately trying to figure out how to prevent more death with virtually no money.

In situations like this normally they would just move the city (I'm not kidding) but Chile just can't afford to move something like 24 million people.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 11, 2010, 06:02:05 PM

Yes, the capitol city is built on a giant mound of volcanic ash which, as it turns out, was sitting on top of a volcano.

Understandably the Chilean Government is desperately trying to figure out how to prevent more death with virtually no money.

In situations like this normally they would just move the city (I'm not kidding) but Chile just can't afford to move something like 24 million people.
No kidding :o. Imagine the amount of money it'd cost for a totally new city :o they might have to start just not allowing any more new buildings, and just tell people to move out of the city instead. slowly decommission the entire city.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 11, 2010, 06:11:52 PM

No kidding :o. Imagine the amount of money it'd cost for a totally new city :o they might have to start just not allowing any more new buildings, and just tell people to move out of the city instead. slowly decommission the entire city.

Well, the other problem they have is it's not like they have central planning there. A lot of construction wasn't exactly "zoned".

This would be a good project for a group of dedicated logicians I think!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 11, 2010, 06:27:45 PM

Well, the other problem they have is it's not like they have central planning there. A lot of construction wasn't exactly "zoned".

This would be a good project for a group of dedicated logicians I think!
Yeah, if they have a lot of slums like some south american countries where millions of people just slap up leantoos and such, well not much you can do there.

Darren Dirt

Imagine the amount of money it'd cost for a totally new city :o they might have to start just not allowing any more new buildings, and just tell people to move out of the city instead. slowly decommission the entire city.

They need throw together a motley but loveable team of experts to solve this problem, ala Armageddon, but in this situation a team of the best Sim City grinders the game has ever produced!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 12, 2010, 11:57:43 AM
Imagine the amount of money it'd cost for a totally new city :o they might have to start just not allowing any more new buildings, and just tell people to move out of the city instead. slowly decommission the entire city.

They need throw together a motley but loveable team of experts to solve this problem, ala Armageddon, but in this situation a team of the best Sim City grinders the game has ever produced!

And some of the best TTD grinders just to get the people out of there, and stuff into the new city!