Shaw rate changes, bare Broadband 50 now only $3 more than old iExtreme

Started by Lazybones, February 15, 2012, 07:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Tom

Yeah, I noticed that recently. I was going to downgrade my service, but when I noticed it was about the same, I didn't think it was worth it.

Back when there was at least a $10 difference, I'd have downgraded along with dropping TV service so save $20+/mo. But now its not worth it for two reasons.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 15, 2012, 09:02:57 PM
Back when there was at least a $10 difference, I'd have downgraded along with dropping TV service so save $20+/mo. But now its not worth it for two reasons.

lol, Mr. Moneybags :)

Kinda nice of them to drop prices.  It's the opposite of what you'd expect them to do, even if it is only three dollars a month.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 16, 2012, 12:22:55 AM
Quote from: Tom on February 15, 2012, 09:02:57 PM

lol, Mr. Moneybags :)

Kinda nice of them to drop prices.  It's the opposite of what you'd expect them to do, even if it is only three dollars a month.

It's incredible when you look at what Bell/Rogers are doing in the east with more caps and crappy speeds...

Have to go and pickup a new modem from Shaw tonight to break the 25Mbit speed barrier..

Thorin

You're switching to Shaw?

Yeah, I'm surprised everyone hasn't just switched over to TekSavvy.  Man, those eastern ISPs are about as nasty as oil companies when it comes to colluding and squeezing their customers.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 16, 2012, 09:38:34 AM
You're switching to Shaw?

Yeah, I'm surprised everyone hasn't just switched over to TekSavvy.  Man, those eastern ISPs are about as nasty as oil companies when it comes to colluding and squeezing their customers.

Switch? I have been on Shaw for many years now... The last time I tried Telus I still lived in that 4 level split.

TekSavvy is nice, however it is ADSL, offers half the speed at that price... Look closely at their pricing table. Dry loop and modem rental actually make their prices much less attractive. However they do offer unlimited caps at much lower prices but at much lower speeds. I am not restricting my downloads these days and I it looks like I should be in the 200 to 400GB a month range so I should be fine with Shaw. Shaw keeps upping speed faster than ADSL anyway.

Thorin

Oh, you posted a little while back that you were capping your download at 20Mbit out of your possible 50Mbit - I took that to mean you were on Telus's quickest service (Optik).

If you do go over the 400GB, you'll pay an extra ten bucks to get a 500GB cap for the month.  And at the same time you'll get double the speed as they switch you to Broadband 100 for the remainder of the month.  They'll then switch you back as of the first of the next month.

And I've said it so many times, and I'll continue saying it - caps are stupid, charge me a premium for guaranteed speeds.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 16, 2012, 10:54:29 AM
Oh, you posted a little while back that you were capping your download at 20Mbit out of your possible 50Mbit - I took that to mean you were on Telus's quickest service (Optik).

If you do go over the 400GB, you'll pay an extra ten bucks to get a 500GB cap for the month.  And at the same time you'll get double the speed as they switch you to Broadband 100 for the remainder of the month.  They'll then switch you back as of the first of the next month.

And I've said it so many times, and I'll continue saying it - caps are stupid, charge me a premium for guaranteed speeds.

My Torrents where capped at 20 out of my 25 (iExtreme on old Shaw modem).

I went over my 250 cap the other month without notice or charge so I am not sure what the deal is with Shaw and enforcing caps these days.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on February 16, 2012, 11:01:55 AM
Quote from: Thorin on February 16, 2012, 10:54:29 AM

My Torrents where capped at 20 out of my 25 (iExtreme on old Shaw modem).

I went over my 250 cap the other month without notice or charge so I am not sure what the deal is with Shaw and enforcing caps these days.
Extreme isn't on the "Bump up" plan. They have the same rules they used to, if you're in the top X number of "abusers" in your area, you get a call or email or letter. After a few notices, they "ask" you to upgrade your plan.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!