Interesting way to introduce basic programming to kids

Started by Thorin, April 27, 2012, 12:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

http://drtechniko.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/how-to-train-your-robot/

This guy made a game where kids control their parent (their "robot") via basic instructions.  It covers some very basic fundamentals of programming, not the least of which is that programming is really just a recipe for getting something done.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote...my computer teacher in high school had told me ?you don?t need to waste your time learning how to program. Now we have visual tools to build programs. Programming languages are already obsolete.?

Nice going, you and others like you just doomed your nation's economy to 2nd-class status after the coming generation grow up.

DIAGF_candidates.addToList(ThatTeacher);

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 27, 2012, 01:16:01 PM
Quote...my computer teacher in high school had told me ?you don?t need to waste your time learning how to program. Now we have visual tools to build programs. Programming languages are already obsolete.?

Nice going, you and others like you just doomed your nation's economy to 2nd-class status after the coming generation grow up.

DIAGF_candidates.addToList(ThatTeacher);

When was the last time you touched Assembly, Mr. Fourth Generation Language Coder?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

In fact, if you read the original article the guy gave the kids a sheet with visual symbols as programming instructions.  So in a way he was using visual tools.

An' yeah, if I create a new web app I frequently create my first pass of the forms with a visual editor.  I'll clean the HTML up later.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful