Random Bull@%&# Thought of the Day

Started by Mr. Analog, January 17, 2013, 10:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Self-deprecation is a pointless exercise.

Learn the difference between introspection and self-flagellation.

BONUS THOUGHT: In conversation using self-deprecation in an ingratiating manner is TACKY.

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I think this article is exactly in the same vein as what you're saying: http://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymuse/2012/12/24/when-self-deprecation-goes-too-far/

Now what made you have this random thought?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Two things:

Some introspection on my own feelings for the last few months ("I can't do a thing")

aaaand an interaction I had with a co-worker, whose communication style is sometimes irritating.

"Well you know better than me" depending on inflection is rather infuriating, particularly when I'm asking them a question about what THEY are doing.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

My random thought of the day.

You feel really lonely all of a sudden when you go from an environment with similarly skilled peers who make you feel like you need to work hard to know more, to an environment where you actually know the most about many things and you have to work hard to explain things to others that don't.

Mr. Analog

Seconded.

The worst thing ever is to get put in a silo as an "expert", especially when you like working with other people.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

On the other hand my self worth has increased dramatically I have been undervaluing my self for YEARS!

Mr. Analog

+1

Gaining self confidence back is what got me into this mode of thought.

Like when I sit back and realized I tore out the core functionality of our application and rewrote it using different technologies in about 6 weeks and it works like a boss... I realized I'm not as dumb as I think I am.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 17, 2013, 02:03:21 PM
+1

Like when I sit back and realized I tore out the core functionality of our application and rewrote it using different technologies in about 6 weeks and it works like a boss... I realized I'm not as dumb as I think I am.
My crhonic problem has been that I /know/ I'm not stupid. But I /think/ I'm stupid. Fun times. Big ego, small self esteem, itty bitty living space *cough*.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on January 17, 2013, 03:28:34 PM
+1

My crhonic problem has been that I /know/ I'm not stupid. But I /think/ I'm stupid. Fun times. Big ego, small self esteem, itty bitty living space *cough*.

http://youtu.be/SfTfXLLJlzM

Also, I hang out with all y'all so you must know you're smart because I only associate with geniuses.  There, that's the opposite of self-deprecating :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 17, 2013, 05:33:02 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 17, 2013, 03:28:34 PM
+1

http://youtu.be/SfTfXLLJlzM
I'm glad someone got it ;D

Quote from: Thorin on January 17, 2013, 05:33:02 PM
Also, I hang out with all y'all so you must know you're smart because I only associate with geniuses.  There, that's the opposite of self-deprecating :)
heh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer