Exporting Contact List from HTC Touch Pro (aka herculean task)

Started by Mr. Analog, February 08, 2013, 11:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So the time has come where I'm looking at getting a new phone and just going through my existing one doing some cleanup I wanted to do something really simple; extract my contact list as a CSV.

Well you can't do this, or rather you can, but you have to use Outlook.

Or you can write a custom mobile application, install it on your phone and read the PIM.vol database and extract the contents to your SD card (after getting familiar with the database structure used on your particular phone and version of Windows Mobile) or you can try to read the contents of the PIM.vol file with something like Notepad++ (again, depending on the version may not work and certainly isn't easily formatted).

I am utterly gobsmacked that extracting contacts is essentially impossible without Outlook (or equivalent e-mail client).

Once again cementing my disdain for Windows Mobile
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

- there where utilities to do this back when I still used the platform. XDA developers forum probably has a link to a free one.
- if you have a windows mobile device why don't you have outlook?
- google closed the door on active sync (windows mobile supported) otherwise having had your device already synced to google would make the change to ANY Android or iOS device seemless
- syncing everything to hotmail/outlook.com via active sync would probably be another option

You infact have Many more options than if you had a plain phone of old that required a proprietary cable and software.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 08, 2013, 11:40:19 AM
I am utterly gobsmacked that extracting contacts is essentially impossible without Outlook (or equivalent e-mail client).

Once again cementing my disdain for Windows Mobile

http://www.google.com/search?q=found+your+problem&tbm=isch , methinks.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Well I bought a new phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II) so I'll just be updating my contacts list in GMail I think, so many people I have in my contact list on my old phone and nowhere else heh.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Export to CSV using the tool then import to google. Googles import isn't bad.

Tom

Hm, I thought about getting a samsung, instead I opted for the Nexus 4. It is slick, and it was cheap! (for a smart phone off contract)

And I've been running a battery life test. Been almost 4 days since I last charged it. It's at 5% currently, and should last to the full 4 days. And that includes 4 hours of phone calls, and some browsing and acting as an alarm clock. All with wifi on, and on a 3G/HSPA+ only network (tends to drain more power than regular GSM voice). Next test will be with wifi off, and as little talk time as possible.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on February 08, 2013, 01:38:15 PM
Export to CSV using the tool then import to google. Googles import isn't bad.

Thanks bra I'm totally going to do this tonight after work!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 10, 2013, 10:02:51 AM
Just as a small side note, turns out USB 3 is fast
Heh. Yeah, I'm glad my new laptop has usb3. It's really nice for mucking with external drives and usb(3) sticks. The only thing I think this laptop is missing is esata(p).

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 10, 2013, 10:02:51 AM
Just as a small side note, turns out USB 3 is fast

In other news, sugar is sweet, and 2+2 is just a smidgen under 5.

;)

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-things-you-should-know-about-usb-20-and-30/1265
Quote from: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/usb-3-0-vs-usb-2-0-much-204216261.html
(article is from June 2011)
"10 times faster" on paper
USB 3.0 is capable of transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps (gigabits per second); that's a little over 10 times faster than USB 2.0's 480Mbps (1,000Mbps equals 1Gbps). In practice, it won't always be this much faster ? mileage may vary depending on hardware configuration ? but it will always be much faster than USB 2.0

The New York Times decided to test this "10 times faster" line, so it used brand new USB 3.0 hard drives and a desktop computer with an ideal configuration for transferring data over a USB 3.0 cable. In the test, writer Rik Fairlie copied a folder containing 10GB of files. He did this once over USB 2.0 and once over USB 3.0.

The USB 3.0 connection took 6 minutes, 31 seconds, and the USB 2.0 connection took 22 minutes, 14 seconds. That's still a dramatic improvement (USB 3.0 was about 3.5 times faster), but it doesn't live up to the marketing hype.

Other real-world tests have produced similar results ? 23 seconds for 500 photos on 3.0, 1 minute and 12 seconds on 2.0 from Amazon, for example. TweakTown clocked the actual speed at 2.8Gbps. That's still mighty impressive. USB 3.0 is significantly faster than its predecessor; it's the difference between 20 miles per hour on a side street and 70 on the highway. It'll get you where you need to go much more quickly.

More than speed alone
In addition to the speed gains, USB 3.0 is a step forward in other ways. USB 3.0 allows simultaneous reading and writing between two connected devices. That wasn't possible on most older 2.0 gadgets and computers, where the information had to take turns (even if those waits were too fast for the human eye to notice).

Tom

It sounds like they used a regular harddrive to test with. That isn't exactly going to do the job of properly testing USB3's bandwidth.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on February 11, 2013, 04:36:06 PM
It sounds like they used a regular harddrive to test with. That isn't exactly going to do the job of properly testing USB3's bandwidth.

Yeah, that's mid-2011 for ya. Solid state drives are certainly more common now.

Mr. Analog

My old phone could only transfer via USB 2.0 so it was a pleasant surprise to transfer mp3s in just a few seconds!
By Grabthar's Hammer