Main Menu

name that car!

Started by Thorin, February 21, 2013, 01:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

It's one of those "name that car" quizzes, with some easy and some tough questions: http://www.driving.ca/quiz/namethatcar/index.html

I got 53 out of 60, failing on both 50s Cadillacs (I got the right make but the wrong model), the Rolls Royce vs Bentley (didn't see the Flying Lady), and had the wrong model for the Aston Martin (DBS vs Vanquish, can you tell the difference just based on the hood?).  Oh, and I didn't know Corvairs were sold in that shape, I thought they were all cars.

So if you think you know cars, try taking the quiz!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Got to about question 11 and decided I didn't know enough to want to continue... However up to that point I was not doing to bad basted on looking at the grill and logo alone for the ones I didn't know at a glance

Mr. Analog

I got 37 / 60, I was mostly stumped on supercars and European-specific stuff, I mean Bugatti, what is it even

A minor quibble regarding Christine, the book version couldn't have been a 1958 Plymouth Fury (as it was described as a 4 door which wasn't available until 59) and in the film several Plymouths were used (mostly Belvedere and Savoy), I can't say for sure which model was used for the poster but I can say that for 1958 the only model available with the red/white paint scheme would have been the Belvedere... so if you were a car buff but hadn't seen the film that question may have been un-answerable (though I guess technically speaking the '58 Fury was an offshoot of the Belvedere line so you could probably guess correctly anyway as it's the only Plymouth to pick from in the list).

I was expecting some more difficult cars actually, like how about a Ford Frontenac or a Packard Clipper or something :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I dunno, the Corvair 95 stumped me pretty good.  And Vanquish vs DBS, I mean, I knew it was an Aston Martin but I couldn't remember the exact differences of the bumper, headlights, and grille between them, and that's all they showed.

Oh, and then showing just the one corner of the Ferrari 308 GTS, I immediately thought it was the GTB but couldn't see the roof.  Then I realized it was probably the GTS from Magnum, since they were using a lot of pictures from TV shows and movies.

And I didn't read the answers close enough, you're right, the car shown from Christine would've had to be a '59 given the side-by-side headlights and egg-carton grille.  The '58s (called Belvedere Fury, not just Fury) had single headlights.  I think.  Damn, gonna have to look that up.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

I stand corrected, '58s most definitely did have dual side-by-side headlights.  Thing is, I never really paid attention Furies from before the early 60s, when the headlights started being stacked one on top of the other.

Anyway, I GOT MORE RIGHT THAN YOU :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

No one was more surprised that I got more than 50% than me, I really don't have an eye for modern or high-end cars. Pretty much anything after 1986 was hard for me to get, even by guessing.

I did get all the 50s/60s stuff though, and for that I was happy enough :)

Most cars today I have to look at the badge and even then... giant playskool bumper blobs...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Even the 50s Caddies?  I had trouble picking out the Eldorado from the Coupe DeVille (woulda been fine with 60s models).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on February 22, 2013, 09:29:09 AM
Even the 50s Caddies?  I had trouble picking out the Eldorado from the Coupe DeVille (woulda been fine with 60s models).

Yep, I got really interested in the influence/work of Harley Earl and Virgil Exner on industrial design and it lead to me investigating a wide variety of models from the late 40s all the way up to the 80s.

The most interesting thing I found was watching how certain bold design elements morphed over the decades; grills, fenders, etc sometimes maintained elements over decades to the point where they were somewhat nonsensical unless you knew the history of the line.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Funny I have an easier time with the newer cars from watching Top Gear.