DID YOU KNOW that your bank debit card can expire?

Started by Mr. Analog, December 04, 2013, 12:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I didn't, and it turns out that not all banks do this, but my card expired in November and didn't notice until TODAY when I was buying office supplies

It's one of those days today
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Weird. Is it one of those us style debit cards that work over the credit card network? I think I had my last card for years.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Check your card for an expiry date, I did after I ran it through a bank machine for a sanity check and sure enough, 11/13

I bought $12 worth of office supplies with my Visa ::)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think PC is too cheap to bother with such fancy things as expiry dates.

Mr. Analog

You never know, so far the only card out of the five in the office that didn't have an expiry was TD
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

PC Financial cards don't have a printed expiry because of the way they are issued... They just run a bunch of random cards off. They link that to your accounts as required.

Now that all Debit is Chip and Pin I would find it odd for them to expire cards unless they are numbered to your account and contain your name on them.

Edit:

Additional note, if your card has been fagged flagged for possible fraud (been used at a compromised retailer) your chip and pin will still work, but if you go some where that ONLY has mag strip (Costco) it will not work until you go in and get a pin reset.

Tom

Anyone had issues with chip cards that just stop working in some machines? I had my debit card just error out in a couple machines but not in another.. and since it was a chip card, and the machine supported chip cards, it wouldn't let me swipe it. Incredibly annoying.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on December 04, 2013, 02:02:32 PM
Anyone had issues with chip cards that just stop working in some machines? I had my debit card just error out in a couple machines but not in another.. and since it was a chip card, and the machine supported chip cards, it wouldn't let me swipe it. Incredibly annoying.

They where out like just like mag strips... I try polishing the chip with my shirt if that happens or just get them to reset and retry. Get a problem card replaced... It only takes a few min at the PC kiosk

Tom

If it happens again, I'll order a new one via phone. then I get to keep my number.

This card is only like a year old, or maybe less. Lasted half as long or even less than a regular mag stripe.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 04, 2013, 01:12:56 PM
You never know, so far the only card out of the five in the office that didn't have an expiry was TD

Must be a holdover; my TD bank card is now one of them "Debit Visa" cards, complete with expiry date and 3-digit-magic-number on the back. Bought Muse concert tickets with it online, Ticketmaster treated it like a normal credit card (but instantly gone from my bank account, best of both worlds!) ... but before needing to replace the old card I think it had no expiry date as well.

Quote from: Lazybones on December 04, 2013, 01:54:26 PM
Edit:

Additional note, if your card has been [redacted] for possible [redacted] (been used at a compromised retailer)...

^ weird BC-specific slang lingo sir? #oops

Quote from: Tom on December 04, 2013, 02:02:32 PM

I find some machines are more sensitive, a vast majority are consistent so if you slide the card in until it basically "clicks" you are fine, but others there's no "click" so you can push it in "too far" apparently, when it fails in those I try again but move it in slowly and kinda push up and hope there isn't an issue with it being a millimeter too far away from the reader or w/e causes the fail. annoying for sure (@ Walmart Southpark there's one machine that always fails so I always avoid that cashier #)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones