Main Menu

frost quakes

Started by Thorin, January 03, 2014, 12:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I had never heard of Frost Quakes before.  Apparently it's when the temperature drops from above freezing to really cold really quickly, and the water in the ground freezes and expands and causes the ground to "boom":

Quote from: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/03/cold_weather_warnings_continue_this_morning.html
In the GTA, the very cold weather may have triggered "frost quakes" early Friday morning that woke residents with a boom.

Many people in and around Greater Toronto reported explosions throughout the night, with some seconds or minutes apart. No damage or injuries have been reported.

A "frost quake," scientifically known as a cryoseism, is a rare weather phenomenon set off by a sudden drop in temperature, from above freezing to below 0 C, causing water in the ground to freeze. Soil or rock saturated with water will expand, putting pressure on surrounding soil and rock until an explosion is caused.

"Frost quakes" are the likely culprit behind booming noises in Durham Region, Brampton, Caledon, Vaughan, Etobicoke and other corners of the GTA.

"They are incredibly rare," Environment Canada meteorologist Geoff Coulson said. This week was his first experience of them in 30 years, he said.

Also, there's yet another winter storm in Ontario.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on January 03, 2014, 12:33:17 PM
I had never heard of Frost Quakes before.  Apparently it's when the temperature drops from above freezing to really cold really quickly, and the water in the ground freezes and expands and causes the ground to "boom":

Quote from: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/03/cold_weather_warnings_continue_this_morning.html
In the GTA, the very cold weather may have triggered "frost quakes" early Friday morning that woke residents with a boom.

Been an exhausting week; when I first read that inner quote I thought it was about some cool realistic feature in GTA V  :P

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I remember those in TO

I also remember my first real earthquake, though it was pretty close to the Annual Terry Fox run and they put us all in the gym when the first tremors hit, I think I was in Grade 1?

It's weird to think of earthquakes as "a thing"... I've been living in AB so long now heh
By Grabthar's Hammer