Main Menu

Mob Grinder

Started by LennyLen, May 03, 2014, 03:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

I've finished the mob grinder I was working on, and I've added a teleporter to the hub.  The room that you get teleported to has rows of chests down one side, and a double chest at one end.  The last chest is where items from the grinder get collected, and the others are storage for the drops.  At the opposite end from the collection chest is a switch to turn mob generation on and off in the grinder.

I haven't lit up the surface or any nearby caves yet, so it's not running at 100% efficiency.

Mr. Analog

Nice what kind of mob?
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 05, 2014, 07:35:25 AM
Nice what kind of mob?

All the regular hostile mobs, except for Endermen.

Mr. Analog

Ahh ok! I thought it was a spawner grinder

cool
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

No, it's an old-fashioned regular dark-room mob grinder.  And it's for loot, not experience.  So if you need arrows/gunpowder/bones/string...  Notice I didn't say rotting flesh.  Honestly, who ever needs rotting flesh?  It's as useful as lapis!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

At least you can make decorative blocks with lapis haha

Ugh, zombie blocks *shudder*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

lapis will have a use soon.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

LennyLen

Quote from: Thorin on May 05, 2014, 09:06:07 AM
No, it's an old-fashioned regular dark-room mob grinder.  And it's for loot, not experience. 

Yep, it's just about the loot.  If you want XP, use the skeleton spawner that's currently accessible from the town square (I keep forgetting to move the teleporter to the hub).

LennyLen

So I've finished lighting up the surface for a ~130 block radius around the grinder, and I lit up a lot of the caves in mineshafts in the area, though I may have missed a few places where mobs could still spawn. 

Efficiency will drop off after a while, as there are several slime generating chunks within range, and slimes never despawn so eventually they take up most of the cap.

Tom

Quote from: LennyLen on May 08, 2014, 06:40:08 AM
So I've finished lighting up the surface for a ~130 block radius around the grinder, and I lit up a lot of the caves in mineshafts in the area, though I may have missed a few places where mobs could still spawn. 

Efficiency will drop off after a while, as there are several slime generating chunks within range, and slimes never despawn so eventually they take up most of the cap.
You can cover those areas in half slabs or a single layer of water and I believe it stops the slimes from being able to spawn.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Half blocks are amazing things, that's for sure :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

To be honest, it's probably not worth the effort. It takes 5-6 hours before they start having quite an effect, and by then the collection chest is full anyway, so you can just teleport back to town and return, which despawns the slimes.