CRTC *finally* looking into Pick and Pay for Cable TV

Started by Mr. Analog, September 08, 2014, 03:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

You know what's funny? All of the providers that DON'T have their own content creation, were or are for unbundling. When cable companies started buying up the content creation companies (ie: all of the @%&#ty channels you don't want, but have to pay for), they suddenly stopped supporting unbundling. It's strange.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Not that strange, take a loss on the production of some junk no one wants and have it paid for by the channels everyone wants...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The argument they are making, is the reason we want unbundling. All we are doing is subsidizing their @%&#ty content. FU CABLE. FU.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 16, 2014, 11:04:13 AM
Not that strange, take a loss on the production of some junk no one wants and have it paid for by the channels everyone wants...
Yeah, I was being facetious.

Mr. Analog

This is going to kill 'em and they'll be in the same place as the music industry is now not before long
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

They are already there pretty much. Why do you think they are running scared?

Mr. Analog

Hubris? Lust for gold?

All I know is so-called "nu-media" is rapidly trying to model itself after old media with tiered systems (YouTube advertising, paid subscriptions, etc). On top of that (or rather, under it) no net neutrality means you'll have to pay more to get what you want...

They get ya coming and going!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I think this article is relevant to this discussion: http://time.com/3379357/hbo-go-streaming-netflix/

It mentions a couple of things, like how channels like ESPN get paid by the cable companies even if no one watches their shows.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It's weird to think advertising is sold to speciality channels with programs nobody is watching... which we pay for...

Somebody is benefiting from all this and it's not us
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 16, 2014, 01:03:15 PM
I think this article is relevant to this discussion: http://time.com/3379357/hbo-go-streaming-netflix/

It mentions a couple of things, like how channels like ESPN get paid by the cable companies even if no one watches their shows.
I thought everyone knew that? If a channel is bundled, they are paid per subscriber, not per view. This is why specialty channels can afford to start up with no real content, or people even knowing it exists.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 16, 2014, 11:27:17 AM
Hubris? Lust for gold?

All I know is so-called "nu-media" is rapidly trying to model itself after old media with tiered systems (YouTube advertising, paid subscriptions, etc). On top of that (or rather, under it) no net neutrality means you'll have to pay more to get what you want...

They get ya coming and going!

Yeah it's almost getting to the point where a bunch are gonna give up on all the BS and just go all hardcore Thoreau's Walden...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.