Actual school playground, 1900-something

Started by Darren Dirt, July 04, 2017, 12:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I wonder if there are any old yearbook photos of the playground at Madonna it was super dangerous before they put in a proper one. We had at least one kid split their head open on the swings and one jungle gym (which was made entirely out of tyres and steel chains) erupted into flame one hot day

In winter we had a really steep hill and a metal slide that we'd slick up with ice until you could slide down it at near lightspeed

A lot of injuries sustained collectively lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Elementary school was my first of my two concussions, and it wasn't even at a playground, I had climbed the uprights in the field and when I was climbing down I slipped. Don't remember falling or hitting, just later "tasting yellow". Still to this day can remember how that tasted -- and sounded. Yes I had a trifecta of senses linked to "yellow" for a few minutes (or more, with a concussion time is effed up!)

Playground had lots of poles to slide down (and to climb up!) and the usual swings etc. but always only hard sand at the bottom, with plenty of kids pushing as you climbed ladders and chain nets and whatever -- and yet nobody ever was at major risk of injury, at least not at the hands of the other kids. We learned to "share" the fun.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 04, 2017, 12:54:51 PM
For those skeptical that this is real...

Also real: BOTH of these things...

"Researchers Crack 1024-bit RSA"
https://twitter.com/TheHackersNews/status/882141413265346560

"Internet of Dongs" analyzing the security and privacy of connected sex toys ("Please Stop Laughing.")
https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/882121031548383232

...which one will you click first?

Mr. Analog

*not sure how either relates to playgrounds*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

All 3 seem to be un-real at first glance...

Also, we need to balance out the keywords from which strangers find the RW forum amirite ;)

Lazybones

Not as impressive in height, probably half as high was our metal monkey-bars that annually had a tongue stuck to them.

And we also had a structure made out of old tracker tires and metal bars to climb on.. Metal slides as well.

I think the most interesting / risky thing on the playground was that the about 4-6 foot wide drainage channel around the edge and the swamp.. It would often have a lot of water in it and when it froze over and was still thin, someone ALWAYS broke through and got soaked up to their waist.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on July 04, 2017, 02:13:05 PM
I think the most interesting / risky thing on the playground was that the about 4-6 foot wide drainage channel around the edge and the swamp.. It would often have a lot of water in it and when it froze over and was still thin, someone ALWAYS broke through and got soaked up to their waist.

Dude we had that at my preschool / elementary (St. Mark Catholic Elementary School in Burlington) it backed onto a park (Duncaster Park) and had the same kind of ditch just over a hill that was not line of sight with the school (at least in those days) We used to jump over it for fun. The parking lot also had a slope next to it which became a toboggan hill one year and of course kids slid into cars (the hill and the side entrance is gone now according to Google Street View)

How did we not die????
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Oh yeah the monster truck tires!

One school had a decent tire park with maybe 10 of them in single file each standing vertical, of course us kids would jump across the gap between each and I remember missing and sliding down and skinning my knees. But you felt mighty when you made it across!

Until some idiot teenagers set fire to a tire one year. Soon after the tires were gone. Idiots.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 04, 2017, 01:38:36 PM

Also, we need to balance out the keywords from which strangers find the RW forum amirite ;)

I just want to say: NO. Stop It. Bad Darren. Bad.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 07, 2017, 06:56:16 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 04, 2017, 01:38:36 PM

I just want to say: NO. Stop It. Bad Darren. Bad.

Remember "nude Batgirl" on the old forum? BWEH HEH HEH HEEEEEEEH

hentai naked AOLKeyword breasts razzle dazzle pajama MAMBO
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

MY GOD what monster have I let loose here...

#CNNSUCKS
#TRUMPSUCKS
#HASHTAGSSUCK

;)