My KVM was causing my breaker to trip

Started by Mr. Analog, July 29, 2024, 04:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I had a rude awakening this morning about an hour and a half ago as I couldn't breathe. My power was out but only the power in the bedrooms. Through trial and error I was able to narrow down what device was causing it and it was my KVM?

I'm not sure why it toasts the power for two rooms but it does

Anyway I've ordered a new one
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Uggghhhh I woke up at exactly 9 AM feeling like @%&#. I hope that it was just the KVM that shorted and not anything else
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Well the new one I ordered from Amazon was a piece of garbage so I've bought a better one through Memory Express

It should be here in 2-6 days
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 29, 2024, 04:26:01 AMI'm not sure why it toasts the power for two rooms but it does

Did it trip two breakers or only one?

I know that in my house built in the early 70s, all three bedrooms are on a single breaker. I found this out when I tried to run two portable ACs at the same time in two different bedrooms. I'd love to get that changed someday, to have one or two breakers per room, rather than one per three rooms.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 30, 2024, 05:07:16 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 29, 2024, 04:26:01 AMI'm not sure why it toasts the power for two rooms but it does

Did it trip two breakers or only one?

I know that in my house built in the early 70s, all three bedrooms are on a single breaker. I found this out when I tried to run two portable ACs at the same time in two different bedrooms. I'd love to get that changed someday, to have one or two breakers per room, rather than one per three rooms.

Just the one but it supplies power to the bedrooms. All I can figure is that there was a short in the KVMs crappy power adapter
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Higher quality unit: keyboard works but mouse doesn't

I am beyond frustrated
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

One of the issues with USB KVMs is they often only work with USB2 devices and within in that sometimes only HID class devices.

So if you have something fanciers it just doesn't work.

If you find something that does work well I would be interested.. I use a KVM between my work PC and Gaming PC but recently it the USB part stopped working with my work PC.. Haven't been able to work out if it is due to a device restriction or if it has just failed.

Mr. Analog

So I think I found a solution by combining a powered USB hub with the switch

I'll be testing it tomorrow
By Grabthar's Hammer