shock of the week: Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer yet again fail to be creati

Started by Darren Dirt, August 20, 2010, 04:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/vampires_suck/

rarely have I seen a single-digit score. well done, boys! surely that was your goal, so you may finally put behind you this continual stream of puke (at the risk of offending puke) and instead move forward and produce something that doesn't make the Asylum mockbusters look like quality film-making?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Sometimes there is something to be said about seeing a movie for yourself vs just reading the masses reviews.  Not saying that is what you are particularly doing, but it does come across that way.

I've watched so many movies in my life time... and so many have had low scores that I would rate much higher, and others rate so high, and yet I would rate them below average.

It depends on tastes, mood, who pissed my off that morning or if my breakfast was just right, how tired I was, how much sugar or happy juice I had, who I was with, any other stressors near or within affect distances, etc.  There are so many things that can contribute to me liking, hating or mehing a movie that I not longer care about the mass' view.  I see it if I want to see it, which is most movies out there.

I guess I see the movies as this... a 50/50 chance lotto.  Either you will be happy with the money you spent or you won't.  I don't make movies, scripts or act, so I can't change what comes to the screens... just pick the ones I think I'll like and enjoy the 2-3 hours of entertainment as best as I can (which I must say is usually a decent life distraction at the worst - I've never walked out of a movie, but have fallen asleep in some just to put a bit of perspective from my experiences).

So yes, despite the low score, I will go see this one.  Just as I saw Love Guru and laughed my butt off at so many parts, so might I get the same experience or not at all... each movie and situation of watching said movie is different.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying ^ there ^ but in this case, notice this is the latest "Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer" movie... where they basically make a mashup of scenes from the trailers for big-release films from the last 24 months, combine them into a non-story, and pretty much repeat the catchphrases and facial expressions from the trailers... not really caring about including any elements of the actual films they are [supposedly] "spoofing".

So I guess I was saying that perhaps this record-low critic response might convince these guys that their talents may best be applied to actual MOVIES, not just video editing projects that aren't funny even to stoners.

imo.

oh, and btw:

Quote from: Melbosa on August 20, 2010, 04:38:47 PM
It depends on tastes, mood, who pissed my off that morning or if my breakfast was just right, how tired I was, how much sugar or happy juice I had, who I was with, any other stressors near or within affect distances, etc.  There are so many things that can contribute to me liking, hating or mehing a movie that I not longer care about the mass' view.  I see it if I want to see it, which is most movies out there.

I found Stallone's "Oscar" very funny, and didn't think Spaceballs was very funny. I found "Dinner for Schmucks" tear-inducing hilarious, and yet thought "Anchorman" the theatrical release was painful and even boring and not nearly as funny as the "B side" of the DVD (where they mashed up the deleted scenes into a completely different story). Never form an actual opinion based on the mass' view, although I do take a certain kind of pleasure in seeing the masses reject something that so clearly is void of artistic/creative worth.

PS: is happy juice like jesus juice?

-too soon?  :-X

Mr. Analog

Everyone has their own taste to be sure, but there is a lot of tripe being produced, nothing really stands up anymore.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Hey John Oliver, I've got a new "HOW IS THIS STILL A THING?" idea for you! Friedberg & Seltzer so-called spoof films:
"Superfast" :sigh:

Mr. Analog

The thing is the people who cram their butts in seats dictate what kind of movies get made

There are enough of those people out there to give stuff like "Grown Ups" a sequel.

[suspicious]Meanwhile anything more high brow / risky people tend to download out of fear because they aren't sure if they'll like it.[/suspicious]
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 31, 2015, 10:22:55 AM
[ suspicious ]Meanwhile anything more high brow / risky people tend to download out of fear because they aren't sure if they'll like it.[ /suspicious ]

On that subject -- http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,10615.msg84289.html#msg84289 -- ...amirite?