Windows Live ID: Better because they give you less options?

Started by Thorin, August 14, 2006, 01:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Wikipedia
Passport allowed for the primary email aka EASI (Email as Sign-In) to be changed if the domain it was attached to was not Microsoft sponsored. [citation needed] LiveID removed this ability. If the user moves to a different ISP and loses access to this primary email they have no way to recover login info if they have not setup an alternate email on the LiveID account. [citation needed] This however does not alleviate the possible problem that the old email can get reused by a new customer at the ISP. In which case the new customer could do a recover on the old account and in essence steal it from the original user. [citation needed] This security issue is made worse by the fact that Microsoft now uses the LiveID for billing of XBOX Live and Office Live accounts while at the same time not allowing those services to be transferred to a new passport or allowing removal of the credit card info.[citation needed]

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_ID.

This sucks, because my wife's primary email is no longer the same as her actual email address.  Hell, at this point they might as well have just assigned her a UUID - she just sets the computer to remember her email address and password anyway (yes, I know the security implications).  If only I would've learned this a month or two ago when the Passport site was still up :(
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I used my Hotmail account when I set mine up.. It is the only reason I still have the account.. However the account that my password reset is set to is my gmail account

Shayne

Interesting.  The only reason i use my hotmail is for xbox live.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The only reason I use my Hotmail account is...  Wait, I don't have one.  Aww, I feel so left out :(
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful