Simple DNS redirect shows Opera already in the Wii

Started by Lazybones, November 24, 2006, 09:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2509fk1j8o

Redirecting the DNS for the shopping channel lets you surf the web... Similar to the hack for the PSP that used the online menu of a game.

Adams

Interesting...

I am wondering if Nintendo will have a 6 dollar download for opera so people can surf with out dns redirecting.
Nintendo seems like the type of company to embrace this idea of surfing on the Wii instead of putting lock downs on it.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Shayne

Opera is supposed to be a free download "for a while"

Lazybones

Looks like they are using the opera engine to render the whole online interface, much like how the browser object works in windows. The web browser it self will still be an app that wraps these functions into a UI with features like Bookmarks, and screen scaling for sites that don't fit standard resolution.

I actually see the WiiMote being one of the best ways to brows the net on a TV, combined with Opera's great scaling engine which should be the same as they use on Mobile platforms, it could be a decent experience.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on November 24, 2006, 10:33:16 AM

Isn't there still an ad supported version? I didn't like it when I tried it at the time (2 years ago-ish), it did use a whole lot less memory though!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Opera v8 is totally free and vacant of adds.  I would be willing to bet that the Nintendo deal was worth enough to make it free?  They also got a few other partnerships I believe.

I really want a browser on my 360 and it would surprise me if one doesn't eventually show seeing as Sony and Nintendo have one.

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 24, 2006, 10:52:45 AM
Quote from: Shayne on November 24, 2006, 10:33:16 AM

Isn't there still an ad supported version? I didn't like it when I tried it at the time (2 years ago-ish), it did use a whole lot less memory though!

On the PC platform Opera is FREE.

They charge for the mobile / embedded versions where they are the clear leader in features.. Opera Mobile blows away pocket IE on Windows Mobile for both features and the number of sites it works with.