Newline Blacklists Peter Jackson

Started by Shayne, January 10, 2007, 03:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

QuoteNew Line Blacklists Jackson

In the latest comment in the controversy surrounding a proposed movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, New Line head Robert Shaye told SCI FI Wire in no uncertain terms that the studio won't work with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson on that film or any other film. Ever. At least not as long as Shaye is in charge.

Source: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=39462

After the horribly long and rather boring (minus the battle scenes) LotR trilogy I was rather looking forward to a straight to the point Hobbit conversion done with the same artistic style that Peter J delivers.

Melbosa

Ouch on the quick line of the movies.  I rather enjoyed them myself.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

9 hours for a rather simplistic plot seemed a little excessive to me.  (12+ if you watch the extended)

Mr. Analog

Until the lawsuit over New Line Cinema's supposed financial skulduggery is cleared up I don't see how Peter Jackson will ever be able to work with them. Peter Jackson says that New Line cooked the books, New Line says Jackson already has a quarter of a billion dollars and should shut the hell up.

It would have nice to have seen The Hobbit done by the same crew responsible for the truely amazing Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I'm fairly certain that will be impossible. Maybe The Hobbit will be done by other New Line directors like Courtney Solomon or David R. Ellis *shudder* ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

New Line looses the rights if they don't do something with in a year I believe and we already know that the Tollkin family likes what Peter did... Maybe it will not come from New Line. ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on January 10, 2007, 03:41:36 PM
9 hours for a rather simplistic plot seemed a little excessive to me.  (12+ if you watch the extended)

Well there is a "wonderful" version done by Ralph Bakshi back in '78 which sloppily covers the first two books in 132 min. (j/k) ;)

Personally, I thought all three movies were well paced and managed to cram as much of the books into the meagre amount of time they were eventually trimmed down to. As a big fan of the books I think they unfortunately had to gloss over a lot of complexity which is critically important to the story (such as Aragorn and Narsil, the sword he reforges at Rivendell). It wasn't so much that the One Ring was destroyed (that's not the story at all) but that an Age had come to an end and with that end, new beginnings.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I like the Clerks 2 rendition of LotR personally, its about 20 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sc-gS9AqM

I tried reading the books 3 times, and each time I find myself unable to.   If I can't get into the story within the first hundred or so pages I just don't feel that its worth it.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 10, 2007, 04:11:14 PM

I tried reading the books 3 times, and each time I find myself unable to.   If I can't get into the story within the first hundred or so pages I just don't feel that its worth it.

Judging from other posts and general comments. I think it is just not your style.  You seem to lean more to Action/Adventure than Fantasy/Epic

Shayne

I'm actually more of an art house, foreign film, independent buff.

Mr. Analog

It totally pays off in the end though! War & Peace (Leo Tolstoy) and Shogun (James Clavell) are also long, but great reads.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I saw the movies, i get the point :)  besides, im on a kick of reading nonfiction essay type books right now.  "The God Delusion", "Freakonomics" and "The World Is Flat" are books I have on my nightstand right now.  Im about 2/3 through the first

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Shayne on January 10, 2007, 03:41:36 PM

But it was *pretty*! I wanna move to Kiwiland now!

Also, prolly one of the most mocked of the megablockbusters in the last few decades... All those strange looks the boys keep giving to each other, all the unspoken feelings they are so afraid to admit to... ;) And on that note...

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 10, 2007, 04:22:34 PM

True dat! (Guess which DVD my brother got me for Festivus? 8) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.