Main Menu

Wall E

Started by Melbosa, March 12, 2008, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

So anyone else want to go see this with me when it hits theaters?  I think it might be worth the money for sure!

Trailers: http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/walle/
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

For sure! It looks like Office Space meets Short Circuit (meets Nemo warm-hearted sense of humour).

also the creativity in the beginning of teaser #2 alone should be rewarded with opening week ticket sales  8)

Fake promotional website for the film's megacorp "Buy n Large", largely responsible for the garbage state the Earth is (will be) in...
http://www.buynlarge.com/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tonnica

I'd like to go see it. It looks way too cute to pass up.

Thorin

Whoa, with the name "Wall E" I wasn't sure what to expect.  I'm *definitely* taking the kids to that one during the summer :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

WALL-E is the story of the last little robot on Earth. He is a robot and his programming was to help clean up. You see, it's set way in the future. Through consumerism, rampant, unchecked consumerism, the Earth was covered with trash. And to clean up, everyone had to leave Earth and set in place millions of these little robots that went around to clean up the trash and make Earth habitable again.

Well, the cleanup program failed with the exception of this one little robot and he's left on Earth doing his duty all alone. But it's not a story about science fiction. It's a love story, because, you see, WALL?E falls in love with EVE, a robot from a probe that comes down to check on Earth, and she's left there to check on and see how things are going and he absolutely falls in love with her.

Andrew Stanton conceived WALL-E before Toy Story was made: the idea was, "What if mankind evacuated Earth and forgot to turn off the last remaining robot?" Pete Docter developed the film for two months in 1995, after Stanton explained the story to him, but he decided to make Monsters, Inc. (2001) instead, as he was unsure of telling a love story. The idea continued to preoccupy Stanton, because of his love of space opera and personifying inanimate objects.

WALL-E is an acronym for Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class.

Stanton pitched the story to Ben Burtt who signed on to do the sound design. There is little traditional dialogue in the film; Stanton joked, "I?m basically making R2-D2: The Movie", in reference to Burtt's work on Star Wars. To create dialogue, Burtt took various mechanical sounds, and combined them to resemble dialogue.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 12, 2008, 03:19:43 PM
For sure! It looks like Office Space meets Short Circuit (meets Nemo warm-hearted sense of humour).

I have difficulty seeing Office Space in either of those two teasers as well as the description from Wikipedia...

But yeah, it's gonna be a great movie, I think.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Hah, I let the kids watch the trailers and they're hooked.  I'm already having to answer questions like, "Did the humans just go to another country, or another planet?", "How will the humans know when the robots are done cleaning?", and, "Did they only leave one robot to clean the whole world?"

Kids are funny :D
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Robots? Check!
Dystopian Future? Check!
Movie? Check!
CHECKSUM COMPLETE...

Mr. Analog is in.

When and where.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on March 12, 2008, 06:39:23 PM
"Did they only leave one robot to clean the whole world?"

The Pixar wiki answers that question -- silly humans created a virtual FLEET of the robuts, natch, only one actually WORKED*.

*Okay, I admit that's not quite the real backstory, but wouldn't exactly be un-believable would it?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.