Best SF Planets of all time.

Started by Mags, August 27, 2008, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mags

"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Mr. Analog

They didn't have Altair IV (aka The Forbidden Planet) listed.

I found it interesting for a lot of reasons, it was capable of supporting terrestrial life and it was very likely to be completely hollow (like a Dyson sphere).

The other world I would have liked to have seen would be Vulcan, not so much for the features of the planet but the culture it seems to have fostered. The Vulcans themselves are interesting people, by nature they are violent and bloodthirsty but they have this incredible level of suppression. I always liked when they visited Vulcan in the Original Series because it was shown to be full of monolithic stone features and decorated with weapons and other icons of violence (spears, banners, etc).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Did Unicron get demoted to plantiod like Puto. ;)

Funny you should mention Vulcan because I just finished watching all of the seasons of Enterprise. It is sad that they totally cocked up enterprise by making the primary plot arch about a Temperal Time war. Vulan and Antoria make for some interesting planets, one is a hot desert the other is an ice planet.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 27, 2008, 12:03:14 PMVulan and Antoria make for some interesting planets, one is a hot desert the other is an ice planet.
Agreed! If you just watch that last season (or so) the show's not half bad.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Actually I would say the last season contains some of the WORST episodes.
It starts with a two part episode that is about time travel and introduces a new villain that is promptly killed.

Another two part episode that takes place in the "Evil Empire" reality that has no continuity and is based on a weak premise.

And it ends as a visit to the Holodeck by commander Riker from the next generation, an interesting tie in however a lame ending to the series.

However back talking about planets, the Xindi homeworld must have been interesting before it was destroyed considering it produced 6 sentient species.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 27, 2008, 01:36:02 PM
It starts with a two part episode that is about time travel and introduces a new villain that is promptly killed.

Another two part episode that takes place in the "Evil Empire" reality that has no continuity and is based on a weak premise.

And it ends as a visit to the Holodeck by commander Riker from the next generation, an interesting tie in however a lame ending to the series.

However back talking about planets, the Xindi homeworld must have been interesting before it was destroyed considering it produced 6 sentient species.

I thought the last season was with the Vulcans and Andorians? If so then whatever season that was :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Heh, I thought that was the first season :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 27, 2008, 01:39:44 PM

I thought the last season was with the Vulcans and Andorians? If so then whatever season that was :)

The Andorian / Vulcun subplot appears in all three seasons. I should go through the ep guide and pull out all the references and watch JUST those episodes.. It would make for an enjoyable marathon.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 27, 2008, 02:50:38 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 27, 2008, 01:39:44 PM

The Andorian / Vulcun subplot appears in all three seasons. I should go through the ep guide and pull out all the references and watch JUST those episodes.. It would make for an enjoyable marathon.

Now that would be cool! Phantom Edit of Enterprise!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Yes, pretty lame, felt very "forced" ... amusing to know how much of the footage was mashup-edited from the first 2 seasons of TNG ;D

Hey! Spoiled it for me! ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 27, 2008, 04:32:26 PM
Yes, pretty lame, felt very "forced" ... amusing to know how much of the footage was mashup-edited from the first 2 seasons of TNG ;D

Hey! Spoiled it for me! ;)

Um the original Xindi home world was destroyed some time in the past, nothing is spoiled as that event doesn't actually happen in Enterprise it is just referred to in conversation.