how to know if an upcoming movie is an over-the-top comedy

Started by Darren Dirt, October 21, 2009, 01:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

Those are both perfect examples of just how cookie-cutter movies have gotten.

I mean, I wonder how many sci-fi movies have yellow/green/red titles?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 21, 2009, 10:48:07 PM
Those are both perfect examples of just how cookie-cutter movies have gotten.

I mean, I wonder how many sci-fi movies have yellow/green/red titles?

Take a look at the movie poster for "Event Horizon" (or "Sphere", or "Mission to Mars") and you'll realize it's almost a formula of what seems to be in almost any modern SciFi, a pair of concerned/tough looking human faces on the top on either side, with some intriguing/cool-looking spaceship/cosmological object in the middle, the required elements included to pique the interest of the SF/Horror audience they are aiming at... Ditto for movies like Nick Cage's family movies like "The Weather Man" and "The Family Man", seriously almost the same damn poster!

Yeah, Uhmericans need to quickly identify familiar, safe "patterns" otherwise they will keep flipping the channel or the "related videos" link on YT instead of watching the trailer or whatever... so "formula" becomes the standard way of promoting stuff :(

Mr. Analog

I think it's just marketing guys who can't think OR people who can't think themselves telling the marketing guys to "just make a poster that looks like X"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I've watched enough Entourage to know that the "suits" almost always are forced to pitch ideas to the money guys by saying "it's X meets Y" or "it's X, but in Y" or similar... seems the $ only flows when familiarity (i.e. marketability) is promised. It's like a vicious circle, the greedy bastards and the moronic audiences are interdependent halfs of a soulless whole.