what the bleep should this past decade by called?

Started by Darren Dirt, December 18, 2009, 02:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-decade-with-no-name/

I so love the style of satire these kind of cracked articles are written in... and I for one vote for "the golden era of meh". I mean, textaholism, apathetic re-electors-of-Dubya, American Idol, enough said.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 21, 2009, 06:19:19 PM
"Over" I hope! :D

@%&# YEAH, my friend... especially "oh-nine" or "aught-nine" or whatever... Worst. Year. Ever.

Here's to 2010 ... hell, even here's to 2012 and all the end of the world BS that makes for interesting fiction but has no basis in fact -- couldn't be worse than this @%&#tiest of years...

Thorin

But...  It's not really over, is it?  Since we use the Gregorian calendar and the Gregorian calendar uses the Anno Domini system and the Anno Domini system started at 1 instead of 0, 1 to 10 was the first decade AD, 1 to 100 was the first century AD, and 1 to 1,000 was the first millennium AD...  Which then means that 2001 to 2010 is the 201st decade (in the 21st century, in the 2nd millennium).

Yes, I know I'm being pedantic, but I always wondered why they said the new millennium didn't officially start until 2001, and it's only cuz of this post that I went and looked it up...  I still think we should adjust our calendar starting date by one year so that 2000 to 2009 really is the 201st decade.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

true, technically, the DECADE is ending December 31st 2010.

but the "00's" = ending December 31st 2009.

the "I love the 80's" shows on VH1 do not include craptacular cheesy pop culture from 1990.

Mr. Analog

There have been a few good things in the last decade to be sure, but '09 was probably the low point.

Lots of ups and downs in the last 10 years, especially if you are in IT like most of us.
By Grabthar's Hammer