Raspbian - Debian optimized for the Raspberry Pi hardware

Started by Lazybones, July 18, 2012, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Tom

Yeah, I saw that yesterday, it looks really cool.

I'll be playing with it on one of my Pi's soonish. I also hope the raspbmc picks up the underlying distro, or at the very least, the kernel, and the idea of the full armv7 softfloat (its actually hw float... odd name...) support. Apparently raspian is supposedly able to play back hd movies all by itself now on raspbian, and something tells me it doesn't use the GPU video decode features.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yeah, it must do a software decode, I seem to recall to keep the price down they didn't include any HD decoding guts on the Pi.

I heard that there also seems to be a distro problem in that many people who've ordered early still haven't gotten theirs...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 18, 2012, 10:58:20 AM
Yeah, it must do a software decode, I seem to recall to keep the price down they didn't include any HD decoding guts on the Pi.
It actually does have HW decode for h264, VC-1, and h263 (xvid).

I heard that there also seems to be a distro problem in that many people who've ordered early still haven't gotten theirs...
A lot of the places that let your order are back-ordered quite badly. They only made like a few thousand at a time. And they'd all immediately sell out. They ramped up the production now though. 5000/week or some such.

Lazybones

It can decode h.264 codecs in hardware but is not licensed for other still common codecs such as mpeg2.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 18, 2012, 11:48:55 AM

It can decode h.264 codecs in hardware but is not licensed for other still common codecs such as mpeg2.
I thought they finally got a license for mpeg2. But mpeg2 really isn't all that common with video files. And the pi doesn't really do DVDs unless you get a usb dvd drive. And DVDs is really the only place mpeg2 is used much at all afaik. Everywhere else uses xvid, h.264, and VC-1 these days, with possibly some VP-6 thrown in for good measure (and old ogms using vp-3).