CRTC forcing Providers to Unbundle Cable TV Channels

Started by Mr. Analog, July 20, 2012, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Holy poo! I'm certainly interested in this development, there is a ton of crap I never ever watch, but my love of HD sports forced me to buy into.

Check out the deets here:
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/07/20/canadian-tv-viewers-to-have-more-choice-but-at-a-cost/

The BIG downside is that rates will fluctuate based on the number of subscribers. I can see this being abused rather easily.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well, I tried reading the actual decision and with a 10-hour-travel brainfog, I can't see how this will actually help viewers.  Looks like Bell Media was told that they cannot force distributors to bundle all channels big and small together, so the distributors have the option of unbundling, but that Bell Media is allowed to charge more for channels if it so wishes to help offset the lost revenue from the (really not interesting) other channels.

Oh, and lots of snotheads posting about how they dropped TV nnn years ago because Why Waste Your Time On TV (so they waste their time posting that same opinion on a news article about something they express to have no interest in).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 21, 2012, 10:46:15 PM
Well, I tried reading the actual decision and with a 10-hour-travel brainfog, I can't see how this will actually help viewers.  Looks like Bell Media was told that they cannot force distributors to bundle all channels big and small together, so the distributors have the option of unbundling, but that Bell Media is allowed to charge more for channels if it so wishes to help offset the lost revenue from the (really not interesting) other channels.

Oh, and lots of snotheads posting about how they dropped TV nnn years ago because Why Waste Your Time On TV (so they waste their time posting that same opinion on a news article about something they express to have no interest in).
The internet. Where your opinion is the only thing that matters.

It may be a good thing. Maybe. I would like to not have to buy so many god damn awful channels just to get Discovery, TLC (bordering on awful), HGTV, A&E, History, Space, Teletoon, Food. Last year I looked up what it'd cost to order all the channels I wanted. Would be the base cable cost, plus $30 in extra packages. Last time I talked to shaw the guy said it wouldn't cost that much, but going by their site, I can't see how it wouldn't. Maybe it's that Premier TV bundle they have, but their personalize doesn't let you pick just that, its pretty stupid. I'm sure if I called up, they'd be happy to upgrade my tv while trying to upsell shaw phone some more.

And thinking about it, most of the time I find HGTV and Food a complete waste, as after a few weeks, I've watched every episode of the shows I like. ::) They don't have enough programming.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Good thing for you that Youtube doesn't cost money other than the internet connection, right Darren?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful