Path of Exile

Started by LennyLen, October 11, 2012, 12:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

I just noticed there are no threads here for Path of Exile...

For those of you who don't know of it, PoE is an online-only ARPG.  It's currently in closed beta, but the open beta starts some time in the next month or so, and from that point on will be free to play, even after release.  Beta keys are purchasable for $10, which gets you not just a key but $10 worth of credit at their store. At the moment, all you can purchase are extra character slots, and more space in your shared inventory, but eventually, cosmetic changes will be purchasable as well.

A lot of people have called PoE a 'spiritual successor' to Diablo 2, but to me it seems more a successor to Diablo 1, as they have managed to capture the same gritty atmosphere and playability, which I felt were lost in Diablo 2.  There are six classes, which are based around the three primary attributes - Marauder (Strength), Ranger (Dexterity), Witch (Intelligence), Templar (Strength/Intelligence), Shadow (Dexterity/Intelligence) and Duelist (Strength/Dexterity).  The game features a MASSIVE passive skill tree, and the start position on it depends on which class you choose.  For each level up, you gain an extra skill point to spend on the tree. Active skills come from gems which can be socketed into items.

Because of the way that both the active and passive skills work, each class can use any skills which can lead to a huge number of workable builds, though the starting positions on the passive tree do mean that it's easier to work towards certain builds for each of the classes.

Another unique feature of the game is that there is no gold.  Instead there is a complex barter system that adds new depth to the game - "Do I use these wisdom scrolls to identify some of my items, or to buy that ring?"

PoE is an online game, but it can be played solo if you want to.  By default, if you enter an area, it creates an instance of that area that only you are in.  You can also join parties in towns (which are multiplayer areas), and after that if you enter an area, anyone else in your party will enter the same instance of it as you.

Any other PoE players here?

Mr. Analog

Sounds interesting, how would you compare it to say Torchlight II?
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 11, 2012, 01:14:20 PM
Sounds interesting, how would you compare it to say Torchlight II?

I haven't actually played Torchlight 2, so can't really say.  I did enjoy the original Torchlight however, and recently had another playthrough of it when it was released as part of the humble bundle.  Torchlight has a very slick and polished feel to t, but as much as I like the game, it has no soul and reminds me more of a tech demo than a game. PoE is a lot darker and more serious.  It's also still evolving, but for the better. The developers are very active n the game forums, and seem to listen to what people say.  I've been playing on and off for six months, but the recent additions and patches to the game have got me very hooked.