ST: TNG coming soon in HD

Started by Mr. Analog, September 14, 2011, 09:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, if you haven't heard by now Star Trek: The Next Generation is getting an HD remaster.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/homecinema/star-trek-the-next-generation-coming-on-blu-ray-50005173/

It will be interesting to see how they tackle this, unlike many remastered television programmes from the 60s ST: TNG was post edited on video (not 35mm film), this means that many of the effects will have to be reshot (everything from spaceship battles to computer screens).

Oddly, I'm less of a purist when it comes to TNG effects, the remastered TOS was fairly hokey as it significantly changed a lot of the model effects of the original (giving it that "special ed" Star Wars vibe to it).

Of course this means that people who invested in the existing massive DVD set is going to have some thinking to do I guess. I really don't know how well it currently upscales or whether the HD treatment of Riker's beard is all that important to the average Trekker.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 14, 2011, 09:42:38 AM
Star Trek: The Next Generation is getting an HD remaster.

many of the effects will have to be reshot (everything from spaceship battles to computer screens).

I really don't know how it is all that important.

serious mang, I mean who would think it was a good idea to go through all the time and effort to make it all HD, just to do another money grab from the uberfans... How could someone think this kind of business decision makes sense?

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/denistephenson/FUNNY/drugs/Everything_Logical.jpg
^ possible explanation.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

To be fair I don't think of Paramount "Lucasing" their franchise so much as offering an HD option for a segment of uh... fairly vocal consumers haha

For ToS I wish they had simply reshot the special effects frame for frame (as repetitive or uninteresting they might be) but they didn't, ToS was full-on Lucased.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 14, 2011, 09:42:38 AM
the HD treatment of Riker's beard is all that important to the average Trekker.

he was more fun "before the beard"
- Q ("Deja Q", funny* clip here)

*dare I say, "laugh-inducing"?  ;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Whoa, I just saw this thread.

So yeah, in a year I've done a 180 on my ST: ToS HD remaster stance, I like some of the new effects.

I have both old and new versions on DVD and BluRay

The new picture is amazing really, like watching Trek for the first time!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Season 2 of TNG is out as well now.