Main Menu

Pets amiright?

Started by Tom, January 25, 2013, 07:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So yeah. Jasper's been acting up lately, going #1 a lot more than normal, whining and complaining, and just randomly talking at noone in particular for a couple weeks now.

Took him to the vet yesterday, and got the test results back today. He's got diabetes. Poor kitty :(

Guess who has two thumbs and gets to spend a lot more money on his cat? (in addition to the $1700 he spent a couple months ago, and the $300 he just spent)

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Oh man, sorry to hear it.  How old is Jasper?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 25, 2013, 07:43:12 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear it.  How old is Jasper?
He's just over 10 I think. If not, he's just over 11.

Mr. Analog

:C sorry to hear that buddy
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Hope it works out for you!!!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Should be ok. Lots of cats live for years with diabetes, and the cool thing is, you can actually cure a cat of diabetes (vet said with proper treatment its 50/50). I'm not worried too much. So long as he doesn't develop any more illnesses right away, he'll be fine.

Darren Dirt

Sounds like you really care about this family member, a lot of people are lazy* (like me) and when the Cat is driving you Batty just ignore the symptoms instead of consulting a Professional. Have you invested in Pet Insurance? If not, will the diabetes treatment justify it now?

btw can I haz Cat photos ITT plz. (preference: cute/cuddly stuff like http://i47.tinypic.com/15ob3gz.jpg and http://i42.tinypic.com/14av0w6.jpg and http://www.buzzfeed.com/paws/awkward-cat-sleeping-positions , less of the human-like or grumpies like http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/weaselkit/Snags%20and%20gifs/cat.gif or http://i43.tinypic.com/1grl3c.jpg )

*imo most "cat persons" are lazy and thus looking for a low-maintenance pet -- theory supported by this article (and I'm now a 80%:20% cat:dog person, previously was 100%:0%) then again, maybe I'm not a "cat person", instead maybe I'm just a person whose brain had at some time in the past been infected by personality-altering toxic parasites. Puhtayto, Puhtahto...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 28, 2013, 10:13:48 AM
Sounds like you really care about this family member, a lot of people are lazy* (like me) and when the Cat is driving you Batty just ignore the symptoms instead of consulting a Professional.
I don't think most people would ignore a sudden and extreme personality change like the one I saw. He went from being quiet, to very very noisy. And the meows and yowls he made were unignorable. Sounded like he was in pain or something. Anyone who can ignore that, isn't human.

Have you invested in Pet Insurance? If not, will the diabetes treatment justify it now?
I've been thinking about it. It's looking like it'll cost $60-80 a month for his shots. It's not a whole lot, but insurance may be less. And if any more issues pop up (and they probably will) it may be a smart investment.

btw can I haz Cat photos ITT plz. (preference: cute/cuddly stuff like http://i47.tinypic.com/15ob3gz.jpg and http://i42.tinypic.com/14av0w6.jpg and http://www.buzzfeed.com/paws/awkward-cat-sleeping-positions , less of the human-like or grumpies like http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/weaselkit/Snags%20and%20gifs/cat.gif or http://i43.tinypic.com/1grl3c.jpg )

your wish is my command

There's some more on facebook as well.

*imo most "cat persons" are lazy and thus looking for a low-maintenance pet -- theory supported by this article (and I'm now a 80%:20% cat:dog person, previously was 100%:0%)

The maintenance level of a cat completely depends on the cat, and how well you maintain the cat to its needed level. Even the most well mannered and docile cat will start acting up if you don't give it the attention and care it needs. Some cats that's not very much at all. Other cats are almost as needy (attention wise) as dogs. Take my cat for instance. Normally he sits on or near me half the day at the very least. Of course maine coons are known to be very social and huge attention whores.

Rae and Lazy had a black cat (Midnight) who was normally very independent, but she would totally come bug you for attention when she wanted it. Also if you didn't take care of her litter properly, she would take it out on your clothes or stacks of belongings you happen to store in a basement.

Not to scare you off or anything, but having a cat isn't the panacea some people claim it is. They sill need love and care.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on January 28, 2013, 10:47:36 AM
Rae and Lazy had a black cat (Midnight) who was normally very independent, but she would totally come bug you for attention when she wanted it. Also if you didn't take care of her litter properly, she would take it out on your clothes or stacks of belongings you happen to store in a basement.
Something about black cats maybe, my 22-pounder is very lazy and quiet and to himself, EXCEPT when he's totally NOT -- lap, meet fur ... and face staring at computer screen, meet wet nose and surprisingly strong neck-nudging muscles...

Not to scare you off or anything, but having a cat isn't the panacea some people claim it is. They sill need love and care.
Far too late in the game to be scared off ;) been a cat owner (or owned by a cat!) for more than 25 years total, and anyway those brain parasites have certainly done their job by now. Ain't no going back  :o

your wish is my command
Adorable! Must be a shedding nightmare during the summer tho, eh?

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 28, 2013, 10:53:18 AM
Something about black cats maybe, my 22-pounder is very lazy and quiet and to himself, EXCEPT when he's totally NOT -- lap, meet fur ... and face staring at computer screen, meet wet nose and surprisingly strong neck-nudging muscles...
Woah. 22 LBS? What are you feeding that thing raw baccon five times a day? Seriously man, that cat is stupid overweight. My cat's breed is naturally large and heavy (up to 20-40lbs), and Jasper is only about 13-15lbs. And they consider him a bit overweight.

Far too late in the game to be scared off ;) been a cat owner (or owned by a cat!) for more than 25 years total, and anyway those brain parasites have certainly done their job by now. Ain't no going back  :o
Heh. I assumed you'd just gotten into it.

I used to be a dog person too. Still am, but wasn't a fan of cats till I got jasper :)

your wish is my command
Adorable! Must be a shedding nightmare during the summer tho, eh?
He's a shedding nightmare all year long. But meh. He tends to keep it to piles of clothes, carpets, and his cat tree. For the most part. Durring the time of year when he starts shedding, when he starts to purr, a plume of furr explodes off of him into the room. It's quite the sight.

It wouldn't be near so bad if I properly groomed him, but god damn it I'm too lazy for that most of the time. Also I'd have to brush him every single day at the very least.

Mr. Analog

OH crap, you have a cat Darren?

I'm going to have to find a drug-compatible antihistamine.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

your wish is my command

These are all pictures taken in your house?  I see a nice big TV, a new couch, nice office furniture...  That job of yours has kept you busy buying new stuff :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 28, 2013, 11:58:29 AM
your wish is my command

These are all pictures taken in your house?  I see a nice big TV, a new couch, nice office furniture...  That job of yours has kept you busy buying new stuff :)
Most are from my place. But the ones where jasper is in a garbage can and in some shelving is at the vet when I took him in a few months ago. He was trying to escape, and explore all at the same time.

But yeah, I have spent entirely too much money this year on stuff I didn't strictly need. But damn I needed a new couch. The old one was painful.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 28, 2013, 11:00:14 AM
OH crap, you have a cat Darren?

I'm going to have to find a drug-compatible antihistamine.

jeepers, sorry man.

Yeah, 2 cats (both medium/short hair, so not much shedding) and a medium-sized dog. During the waking hours, pretty much 7am thu 9pm, it's only the dog out and about while the cats hide in rooms behind closed doors, so you shouldn't have to worry too much, but you know yourself when it comes to allergies/reactions.

With the # of people gonna be in the living room at once, will probably keep the balcony door open to keep fresh/cool area circulating, that might help too.

Mr. Analog

Yep, it shouldn't be a problem, I'll just get the pharmacist to help me out later, but I may need to go outside for a while depending on how bad it gets (which I'm not sure because I haven't been around cats for so long now ... ).

Spoiler
So, on the other side of things, I'm running low on anxiety medication, not that I needed it much until recently, I put in a refill order last week but the doctors office hasn't filled it yet, I'll be sure to keep at least 1 for the weekend tho.
[close]
By Grabthar's Hammer