Guardians of the Galaxy -- all you need to know

Started by Darren Dirt, August 03, 2014, 02:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I've heard enough to know that I want to see the movie. Even if you don't know the lore it's an entertaining film
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

3D 7pm tonight just me and my son...

Excited cuz other than the teaser and the later trailer I have avoided spoilers (the links I posted = will read after viewing)

Lazybones

I found it very fun and enjoyable...

Although I think the plot setup at the start was a bit rough it seemed some parts where rushed..

Great soundtrack.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on August 08, 2014, 10:50:57 PM
I found it very fun and enjoyable...

Although I think the plot setup at the start was a bit rough it seemed some parts where rushed..

Great soundtrack.

I was blown away by The Avengers, but I only really-enjoyed GotG. Still, a fine Summer Popcorn Movie experience, and I was also pleasantly surprised how often I laughed out loud -- as a result of the way they developed the characters -- especially virtually every line spoken by Rocket, of course, but also WOW Drax aka "Mr. Literal" got a lot of laughs too :)

And yeah, soundtrack rocked.

PS: glad I wasn't a huge Marvel comics nerd before the film though, after it I have skimmed some comic wikis and discovered just how ... different ... the characters are in canon, so this film definitely went its own very different direction with a LOT of details of backstory, motivation, powers, etc. Which is fine for us outsiders, I wonder how fanboys responded though? (and the 2 animals with the Collector in the post-credits scene -- didn't realize that BOTH were actual Marvel comics characters, I knew the non-dog was in a film from the 80s that was met with unhappy reviews, but only now know a bit more about the dog ... and the Collector as well ... I thought all 3 were just extra things the film-makers added, not existing Marvel creations.)

Darren Dirt

Here's a mostly-speculations article that might come in handy during your debates with your uber-geek friends about the meaning of the 2nd end-credits scene...

Spoiler

Mr. Analog

First, I have to say, it's an awesome movie!

As a Marvel fan and also looking at the next few years of planned films it's going to take an AGE to get where things are probably going.

!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Well then are you such a die-hard true fanboy that you are willing to wait infinity years?

Mr. Analog

Listen, I've seen them reboot Spiderman about 80 times (in comics, cartoons, movies), when it comes to Marvel the journey is always going to be better than the destination (like infinite worlds full of crappy alternate Peter Parkers)

I'm just glad they they are making decent superhero films, so I'll take my chances and run the Gauntlet
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 18, 2014, 08:10:28 AM
I'm just glad they they are making decent superhero films, so I'll take my chances and run the Gauntlet

whew wasn't sure you got it...

Mr. Analog

Ain't I a stinker :)

Another comic minded friend and I were chatting about how they're going to go from A to B in a reasonable amount of time and we just don't think they can do it without a future reboot. Unless there are a bunch of titles in pre-production right now that will get it done we don't know about.

I figure it will either be an "abridged" version of it or something more long term.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

more Marvelicious spoilers if ya want, about the likely storyline for the next few movies, Thanos explained, etc.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/4/5966773/guardians-of-the-galaxy-avengers-3

Mr. Analog

Great I read that in Yan from "Yan can Cook"'s voice
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

One of the comments mentioned "Planet Hulk" so I checked Wikipedia about that. And my eyes caught a blurb at the bottom of the Wikipedia webpage.

And since today was payday I ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT I READ IN THAT BLURB.

Thank you for your support. Read about why other donors around the world support Wikipedia and its sister projects, or find out if your company has a corporate matching gift program. Tell the world that you support Wikimedia: tweet it with hashtag #keepitfree!
You will receive a receipt via email when we have processed your donation. If you have any questions or would like to check the status of your donation, please email donate@wikimedia.org.

(And I challenge others who use Wikipedia all the damn time to do the same, even just $10, cmon don't be stingy!) and do something with your life dammit!