trying to hit my Ballmer Peak

Started by Thorin, October 23, 2014, 10:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

My team shrunk a little while ago, as the company focused on other parts of the software rather than the part I work on.  On my team, besides me, there is now one person in Edmonton, one person in the Eastern US, and one person in Australia.  The one in Australia is the other developer, of course.

Unfortunately, this means that to interact with the other developer to do pair programming or bounce code suggestions off each other, I've been online in the evenings.  And it's starting to get to me.  Tonight, I actually found myself reaching for the Ballmer Peak while making changes to a stored procedure.

I think it's working, although I'm really, really double-checking all my work to make sure the Ballmer Peak doesn't introduce any unpleasant surprises.  And the guy in Australia is enjoying a beer as we speak, since his weekend just started :)

p.s.  I'm running out of Captain Morgan's, and there's no beer and all that's left is some strawberry-flavoured vodka :(  I wish my oldest kid was old enough to go to the beer store for me.  Eight more months...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Try not to rely on it. Can have unintended consequences.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I try not to exceed 3 beers when coding. For me that's the sweet spot.

Mind you lately I've joined the Caffeine Nation, a cup of hot black coffee and I'm off to the races

And not a giant bucket o coffee, just an actual cup or two as labeled on the carafe
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Three beers over what period of time? In an eight hour day that would do nothing, but in twenty minutes...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

All at once with 3 A&W straws hahaha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 24, 2014, 12:47:13 AM
Try not to rely on it. Can have unintended consequences.

Hey, we let them kids rely on us for at least 18 years! Methinks it's fair to rely on them occasionally when necessary...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

I think he's saying don't rely on the Ballmer Peak.

As for relying on kids, I'm going to have it tough when I'm older because they'll probably all move somewhere warm.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

On topic, maybe an optimal amount of alcohol in the brain-blood-stream induces "laziness"?

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/9826-full.html

Strive for progress. Not perfection.