Cities: Skylines

Started by Mr. Analog, March 10, 2015, 09:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 06, 2015, 08:07:20 AM
Whoa!

Not sure what you are directly that at..

I should not that the example that is double sided is not ideal because it only allows traffic back on the highway in one direction, however it does work fairly well for flow control.

If I need massive influx for commercial or industrial I use the games included three way highway junction... My current 110K+ city currently does not have any traffic circles.

Tom

Not sure how you manage busy intersections that aren't close to a highway without a traffic circle...
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 06, 2015, 10:01:30 AM
Not sure how you manage busy intersections that aren't close to a highway without a traffic circle...

One way roads... I try and avoid any multidirection roads in busy areas... If 6 lane roads need to meet somewhere I often convert a small segment to 3 lane highway to avoid generating lights.

One note about traffic, just because a segment is read in traffic view does not mean it is a problem.. I just means it is busy... Only backed up traffic is a problem.

Tom

Indeed. I only care about traffic if it gets backed up. It's not a serious problem in my city, though I have like 4-6+ traffic circles, some right off of big highway interchanges (and i have several of those as well).

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 06, 2015, 10:18:12 AM
Indeed. I only care about traffic if it gets backed up. It's not a serious problem in my city, though I have like 4-6+ traffic circles, some right off of big highway interchanges (and i have several of those as well).

The exit off of a highway can back up, that is why I created my own exits... They have exit ramps that then feed into a segment of off ramp or road with sufficient capacity and length to allow traffic to spread out. I often create a simple high capacity loop based off of the exit, then build in crossroads to fill in the loop. This prevents heaving highway traffic from backing up as it exits the highway.

Mr. Analog

Whoa as in you built a functioning cloverleaf through clever use of one way roads, fantastic!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 07, 2015, 06:15:14 AM
Whoa as in you built a functioning cloverleaf through clever use of one way roads, fantastic!

The intersections included in the game are built out of the same standard road parts... There are a HUGE number of user built ones in the work shop..

Still need to optimize my roads, I just like the parallel side road style vs what the game includes which is always a 90 degree change in direction from the highway.

Lazybones

You know your city is large when the SPEED setting does nothing anymore... The game can only go as fast as your computer at a point... I have reached that in my main city.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 19, 2015, 06:57:56 PM
You know your city is large when the SPEED setting does nothing anymore... The game can only go as fast as your computer at a point... I have reached that in my main city.
:o

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Btw if you are working on achievements do not take a bankruptcy bailout. Your cities saves will be marked with achievements blocked.

Mods also typically block achievements.

Thorin

At first I thought, "so many highrises, why don't the citizens just buy the undeveloped land on the other side of the road?"

And then I clicked on the fourth picture, and noticed that one of the houses on the hill actually has a swing set in the backyard.  Holy Detail, Batman!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 20, 2015, 10:19:34 AM
At first I thought, "so many highrises, why don't the citizens just buy the undeveloped land on the other side of the road?"

And then I clicked on the fourth picture, and noticed that one of the houses on the hill actually has a swing set in the backyard.  Holy Detail, Batman!

Ya that camera only lets you zoom in so much... I am thinking of installing the first person mod to go in to more detail.

I have "subscribed" to several workshop assets now to add more variety to the buildings. At this size and density repeating buildings are crazy. Also who doesn't want to see Wendy's, A&W, Starbucks etc on every block of your commercial areas.

Lazybones

Update...

- Fixes
- Tunnels
- Euro themed maps and buildings.