apparently dietary choices don't matter

Started by Darren Dirt, March 16, 2015, 02:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

according to a doctor.

http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Food-Science-Says-what-ebook/dp/B00QJE5TY8
Everybody believes that diet influences health: trans fat plugs your arteries. We are threatened by an epidemic of obesity and diabetes caused by too much junk food. Salt is a silent killer. Raw, coarse, ground-with-stone grains cleanse the bowels and prevent cancer. Eating food produced in farms close to where you live will set you free from the tyranny of food multinationals.

But where, really, did these ideas come from? The average person's answer is that they are proven by medical science. But medical science can be a slippery and ambiguous thing when you examine it carefully. "Forbidden Food" walks you through the best evidence available from more than 50 years of scientific studies, and critically analyzes the astonishing deficiencies of the science behind diet. The surprising truth is that scientific reasons for "healthy eating" don't come anywhere close to the standard of reliability that conservative health experts would normally call reasonable.

basically, The Human Animal is a social creature by nature, and thus we are all quite superstitious, even if masked under the label of "science" (alleged). We tend to "monkey see, monkey do". And believe whatever The Experts tell us the reason we should do that do. Without really digging deep into those reasons to see if they're full of horse @%&#. (Which btw I recommend not adding to your diet, but IANAD.)

Now I want to re-watch the Last Week Tonight ep. about "Dr. Oz" ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I don't know why but this reminds me of an episode of Rumpole of the Bailey where a Dr. was running a series of massage parlors (accused of being disorderly houses), his doctorate was in theology :D

At some point in the future I want to write about about writing books and going on tour to promote the book and then go on tour with the book as a source of income

I'll co-host with Vince (the book binding would be made of sham-wows) "How to Get On the Ball" (in memory of Billy Mays)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 16, 2015, 03:31:26 PM
I don't know why but this reminds me of an episode of Rumpole of the Bailey where a Dr. was running a series of massage parlors (accused of being disorderly houses), his doctorate was in theology :D

Better or worse than Doctor John A. Zoidberg's doctorate?

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 16, 2015, 03:31:26 PM
At some point in the future I want to write about about writing books and going on tour to promote the book and then go on tour with the book as a source of income

"Sell me this book about writing books about selling pens."

Strive for progress. Not perfection.