Griswald "Vacation" gonna be in-universe sequel, not a reboot (for once!)

Started by Darren Dirt, March 25, 2015, 12:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

In contrast to all these "back to the well" lazy "rebooted/reinvented" franchise recyclers of the last 10+ years ( :cough:example:cough: ).

Rusty Griswald will apparently be "essentially a clone of Clark" -- Ed Helms! -- who pretty much married his mom -- "Kelly Bundy"! -- and lots of low-brow humor is part of the fun...

http://moviehole.net/201477592exclusive-vacation-back-on-track-spoilers-for-the-ed-helms-starring-reboot
^ notice the URL contains the word "spoilers"; imo it's no more spoiler-ific than the first teaser will likely be.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

THIS MAKES ME VERY HAPPY

I remember first reading about it and thinking it was going to be another crappy redux but this is good
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I am proud to say my kids know the old movies.

And they know who Kelly Bundy is.  Although they're more likely to name her as the oldest daughter from Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead (I think the character's name was Ellen?).

So many good, kinda cheesy, kinda offensive movies from the 80s.  I dunno about a Tremors reboot, though - for me those movies were all about Kevin Bacon and that other guy riffing off each other.

I wonder how well a new Vacation movie will do, though, considering the idea has since been regurgitated several times (including Williams' "RV").
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

On a down note, the all-girl Ghostbusters has been canned and a all-male with focus on action (!?!) version is going to be a thing

*ugh*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2015, 12:59:32 PM
On a down note, the all-girl Ghostbusters has been canned and a all-male with focus on action (!?!) version is going to be a thing

*ugh*
Let me guess, to be directed by Mr LenseFlare (aka: J. J. Abrams).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2015, 12:51:30 PM
THIS MAKES ME VERY HAPPY

I remember first reading about it and thinking it was going to be another crappy redux but this is good

Ed Helms could definitely pull it off -- a middle-aged Rusty. Body language and dialog, little reminders and echoes from the earlier films, he could deliver for sure.

Quote from: Thorin on March 25, 2015, 12:52:48 PM
I dunno about a Tremors reboot, though - for me those movies were all about Kevin Bacon and that other guy riffing off each other.

It's not a reboot, apparently: http://moviehole.net/201478460exclusive-about-this-tremors-reboot
"... [Tremors 5] is about as much a do-over as ?Tron Legacy? or ?Star Wars Episode VII?. In other words, it totally bows to the graboid of the original, and that includes paying respect to those who?ve previously done battle with the ?mother hoppers?." (Michael Gross as Burt Gummer = YUP.)

Quote from: Thorin on March 25, 2015, 12:52:48 PM
So many good, kinda cheesy, kinda offensive movies from the 80s.
NPH starring in "A Weekend At Barney's"?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 25, 2015, 04:51:27 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2015, 12:59:32 PM

*ugh*
Let me guess, to be directed by Mr LenseFlare (aka: J. J. Abrams).

iMDB says: Paul Feig (Arrested Development, Freaks & Geeks, etc)

Thought I'm going to expect this was an idea of the shivering globs of jelly that represent executives at Sony fearing the initial response they got translating into low profits
http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-forms-ghost-corps-plans-a-male-led-ghostbusters-movie/
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

People were actually upset about female ghost busters? Really? I think it'd be quite interesting (and, maybe a bit chauvinistically, hot).

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 25, 2015, 05:50:19 PM
People were actually upset about female ghost busters? Really? I think it'd be quite interesting (and, maybe a bit chauvinistically, hot).

Yes the whining started as soon as it was announced

But don't worry, we'll be treated to the comedy stylings of... Channing Tatum
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2015, 05:58:30 PM

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't really remember names that well. So I can't tell you who that is.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 25, 2015, 06:27:24 PM

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't really remember names that well. So I can't tell you who that is.

Action movie star

Because Ghostbusters is an action movie now apparently
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Jonah Hill's less funny "brother" in the "Jump Street" films.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 25, 2015, 06:49:41 PM

Who and what?

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on March 25, 2015, 06:51:10 PM

Who and what?

21 Jump Street: They are both young cops. Undercover as high schoolers ("brothers")
22 Jump Street: ditto but they be college kids.

Actually quite funny movies. Especially when Ice Cube gets to his trademark yellin' and cussin'.

Youtube has, like, trailers and whatnot.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 25, 2015, 06:53:21 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 25, 2015, 06:51:10 PM

Who and what?

21 Jump Street: They are both young cops. Undercover as high schoolers ("brothers"), and then 22 Jump Street: ditto but as college kids.

Actually quite funny movies. Especially when Ice Cube gets to his trademark yellin' and cussin'.

Youtube has, like, trailers and whatnot.

Meh.