TV Top 250 (IMDB new feature)

Started by Darren Dirt, August 14, 2015, 02:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

IMDB has now got the same thing they have for movies, almost an unofficial official "final word in debates" list.

The rankings are likely just like the film Top 250 so based on a secret algorithm (and not just passionate tweets and Youtube comments arguments etc!)

Of course BB and GoT and The Wire are all way up there in the top 10. But there's also a  few surprises.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv

PS: this is indeed a new feature (labelled as "Beta"!) as in the old days previous to this, you had to do some search trickery a-la: http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

The rating system is based on the following:
QuoteThe Top 250 TV list only includes TV series and TV mini series.

• The list is ranked by a formula which includes the number of ratings each show received from voters, and value of ratings received from regular voters
  • To be included on the list, a series or mini series must receive at least 5000 votes, and a TV series must also have aired at least 5 episodes

I think the main problem with this, like other iMDB rating-based lists, is that users only go out of their way to vote on things they really like or really hate, so some really amazing or terrible things are excluded if they don't have a wide enough exposure (or enough votes to make it in, which is a shame.) On top of that you'll get skewed by the votes of regular voters (some king of vote weighting system?)

Either way, pretty cool idea.

Hopefully they do a Bottom 250 as well which is usually more interesting ;), but then we have the Wikipedia list which is goooood reading hahaha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_considered_the_worst

Look, there's a whole list for just sitcoms (shudder)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sitcoms_notable_for_negative_reception
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 14, 2015, 02:25:59 PM
The rating system is based on the following:
QuoteThe Top 250 TV list only includes TV series and TV mini series.

• The list is ranked by a formula which includes the number of ratings each show received from voters, and value of ratings received from regular voters
  • To be included on the list, a series or mini series must receive at least 5000 votes, and a TV series must also have aired at least 5 episodes

I think the main problem with this, like other iMDB rating-based lists, is that users only go out of their way to vote on things they really like or really hate, so some really amazing or terrible things are excluded if they don't have a wide enough exposure (or enough votes to make it in, which is a shame.) On top of that you'll get skewed by the votes of regular voters (some king of vote weighting system?)

I don't know what you're talking aboot.  ;D

Mr. Analog

LOL

Well, I can't argue with stats like that  :o
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Here's a quirk of demo-statistics for network TV execs to hopefully not exploit... you want high ratings? END YOUR SERIES!

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/most-loved-and-hated-tv-finales

cliffs: The vast majority of TV series on IMDB got a higher rating for their final ep compared to the average for the series.

Yes, even Breaking Bad.

No, not Seinfeld.

...most of the rest are less unsurprising. Except ST:Enterprise, wtf? I thought the average rating was lower than 7.5 before the finale (which was actually not bad, definitely worth more than a 5.5 imo) ...and also WOW I had no idea ENTOURAGE was so highly-rated (including the finale). I mean... WHY? (i enjoyed it on occasion, but not *that* much :p )

Mr. Analog

TBH I'm not surprised by this at all, of course people are going to tune into something that's been around for a few seasons to see how it will wrap up stuff. I think back to Enterprise and how when the news dropped that the upcoming season would also be the last all of a sudden viewership spiked (myself included)

IT DID HELP that the last season was actually somewhat interesting / watchable

Still not as good as Turkish Star Trek but y'know

I have a REAL hankering for Star Trek though, god I'll take just about anything at this point.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2015, 10:25:36 AM

I have a REAL hankering for Star Trek though, god I'll take just about anything at this point.

Ha! I call your bluff, sir; you are hereby challenged to re-watch all of Season 1 of TNG within a week's time without muttering grumbling or complaining out loud neither to any other human beings nor your own damn self.

The time-wasting gauntlet has been thrown down bud ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 26, 2015, 06:01:12 PM

Ha! I call your bluff, sir; you are hereby challenged to re-watch all of Season 1 of TNG within a week's time without muttering grumbling or complaining out loud neither to any other human beings nor your own damn self.

YEAH BUT I have good memories of season 1 so even when it's SO BAD I can remember the good times in 1987 sitting there with my family watching it

WIN-WIN

Or I'll be watching it on one device but SECRETLY watching Rick & Morty on another
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2015, 06:13:56 PM

YEAH BUT I have good memories of season 1 so even when it's SO BAD I can remember the good times in 1987 sitting there with my family watching it

WIN-WIN

Or I'll be watching it on one device but SECRETLY watching Rick & Morty on another

I am currently making my way through Voyager almost through season 2... SOOOOOO painful to watch so far... SOOOO few worthwhile episodes. I swear the doctor is the only likable character at this point..

Tom

I originally stopped watching Voyager at around the season 2-4 mark. I can't tell you if it was because Voyager just sucked, or it was because they kept moving its time slot (like all my favorite shows) and I got more into programming around that time (I spent A LOT of time programming), or a combination (probably a combination, i tend to stop watching a show if its previous season wasn't quite interesting enough to get me to bother to find it next season). I did end up re-watching it all. I think it does get better.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Voyager gets interesting around Season 5 or so, the quality of the show for me peaked with "Year of Hell"

Again, tons of potential wasted. The main problem for me was most of the characters they created were one dimensional and lifeless (and didn't really develop over time) the irony being the characters that SHOULD have been that way; the hologram and the Borg, turned out to be the most human of all

My other gripe was the treatment of Tom Paris, started out really strong and was hammered into another boring Starfleet clone fairly early on, the same thing with having half the crew being rebels, its like they added all this spice and the boiled the hell out of it to ensure everything was as boring as possible
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2015, 06:13:56 PM

Damn you!

Also, same. But instead of family, it was with my best friend at the time. Watching NextGen and playing video games, cherished memories of that time. Plus my mom was still alive so a feeling of safety also associated with those times. Life was simple and good.