Main Menu

Oilers 2015-16

Started by Thorin, September 24, 2015, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Was talking to neighbours last night, and they said it was the Oilers worst start in history. :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 19, 2015, 02:20:37 PM
Was talking to neighbours last night, and they said it was the Oilers worst start in history. :o

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, 1993-94 season was  0-4-1

So MYEH!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 19, 2015, 02:27:47 PM

So MYEH!
Well, I think this was for the first 4 games. 0-4-0 or smth. :D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 19, 2015, 02:30:30 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 19, 2015, 02:27:47 PM

So MYEH!
Well, I think this was for the first 4 games. 0-4-0 or smth. :D

Yup, now we're 2-4-0, so better than '93 so far (thank god)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Although the outcome of the first four games was the worst in history, the actual games were much better than the start of the season in the last three or even four years.

Also, now that they've played six games, lets look at how long it took them to win two in-division games last year.  Hmm, the second game they won last year against another team in their division was played on Dec 30.  In-division games are the most important, because you're not just gaining points, but also denying points to the other teams in your division, and the leader of the division gets an automatic-in to the playoffs.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Heh, I like talking to you guys about the oilers much better than my neighbours. Out of the ones I know and talk to the most, I think /one/ is an oilers fan. The other two are die-hard Leafs fans.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 19, 2015, 05:04:24 PM
Heh, I like talking to you guys about the oilers much better than my neighbours. Out of the ones I know and talk to the most, I think /one/ is an oilers fan. The other two are die-hard Leafs fans.

Ah so they are used to losing ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

...some of us have a soft-spot in our hearts for underdog stories... ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 19, 2015, 05:07:27 PM

Ah so they are used to losing ;)
LOL

Thorin

In response to the previous post about the Leafs and how they suck... The Oilers just gave up a completely embarrassing 3-0 loss to the Leafs. The Leafs put in a brand new, never ever played in the NHL before, goalie. The Oilers let him get a shutout. They didn't even challenge him much.

What a terrible waste of time it was watching this game.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 30, 2015, 10:47:48 PM
In response to the previous post about the Leafs and how they suck... The Oilers just gave up a completely embarrassing 3-0 loss to the Leafs. The Leafs put in a brand new, never ever played in the NHL before, goalie. The Oilers let him get a shutout. They didn't even challenge him much.

What a terrible waste of time it was watching this game.

...and so soon after a solidly entertaining and very much NOT unbalanced Grey Cup final (and that Broncos vs Patriots game as well). Professional athletes, we expect you to act like it, not phone it in! :(

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

bleh

it's frustrating as hell
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Statistically how bad is it?  I haven't looked at the stats for any teams this year, just been watching the Oil and Jets play.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on December 01, 2015, 11:42:52 AM
Statistically how bad is it?  I haven't looked at the stats for any teams this year, just been watching the Oil and Jets play.

I read the excellent Oilers blog http://lowetide.ca/ almost religiously.  This year, Lowetide has been keeping track of last year vs this year.  So, before last night's game:

Oilers after 24 in 2014-15: 6-14-4, 16 points (-33 goal differential)
Oilers after 24 in 2015-16: 8-14-2, 18 points (-13 goal differential)

after last night's game:

Oilers after 25 in 2014-15: 6-15-4, 16 points (-36 goal differential)
Oilers after 25 in 2015-16: 8-15-2, 18 points (-16 goal differential)

The Oilers are in 30th of 30 in the league, 7th out of 7 in our division, 4 full wins out of the wildcard spot, but with a significantly improved goal differential.  They're even behind Calgary (although only barely).

But it's not the position that bothers me, it's the strange lack of effort in games that are eminently winnable.  I mean, the Leafs are the worst in the east and the Oil couldn't even bother to try and score a goal on them.  And yet against strong teams, they play well.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Can we start calling it the Katz Curse?

Ever since he bought the team...  ;D
By Grabthar's Hammer