Unigine - Heaven benchmark

Started by Lazybones, February 08, 2016, 05:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I just swapped my media box from an OLD 300G Seagate to a newer but still old 120G SSD. Just booted up  GpartedLive, shrunk the filesystems, cloned them to the ssd. and expanded the FSs again.

In my case it was a bit more complicated than it should have been since I was using LVM (Linux Logical Volume Manager), so instead of using built in features of Ultimate Boot CD or GpartedLive, I had to use the LVM tools directly. They do support NTFS, but you have to make sure to defrag first, and preferably defrag offline (not booted into the Install, so it can move the NTFS tables).

A $600 SSD is a bit overkill imo. lol.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Of course if you're worried about doing it yourself, MemEx would be happy to do it for you for a fee :D probably not too expensive though.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 09, 2016, 09:16:25 AM

He's rich, though. No kids, no wife, no car to soak up his money. He's free, to do what he wants (how does the rest of that song go?)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on February 09, 2016, 09:43:19 AM

Quote from: Tom on February 09, 2016, 09:16:25 AM

He's rich, though. No kids, no wife, no car to soak up his money. He's free, to do what he wants (how does the rest of that song go?)

Well i still maintain a budget :)

In fact I had to start doin' commissions again because I think my tablet is dying
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think you also have a Mortgage to care about, which is not something to scoff at.

Not to mention the new PC and the 980ti and the new 4k monitor? Sha.

Hell I spent $600 on upgrading my /desk/ recently. And added two new SSDs to my desktop which probably accounts for 300 more? 256GB Evo, and some cheap 480GB sandisk for more mass-storage on the desktop.

UGH and $1200 on the NAS. FFFFFF

Tom

What is budget. </badrussianaccent>

Mr. Analog

I'm only about 9 years away from paying it off so ... I'm not worried

The thing is I HAVE the money but I plan an allowance for myself, currently I need to buy new furniture and lighting for my house, which I have a tentative estimate for already which is going to eat up my "stuff" budget for a while, also I have a vacation coming up next week which will most likely be within $2-4 k range.

Other things I want to buy but have to do the math on to see where they fit:
- Wacom Intuos 4 (about $400)
- Kitchenaid Stand Mixer (from $300 - $600)
- New NAS / disk array
- 1 TB SSD

I'm also looking at more travel this year / putting more cash into RRSP
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 09, 2016, 10:12:46 AM
I'm only about 9 years away from paying it off so ... I'm not worried

That's awesome man!  My debt's all low interest now, and I'm paying it off as aggressively as I can.  If I continue making the payments as I'm making them now (which gets easier over time as income goes up), and roll over payments from one item to the next as I pay each off, then:
- credit card 5.99% paid off in Sep 2018 (2.5 years)
- truck loan 0% paid off in Sep 2020 (4.5 years)
- trailer loan 5.7% paid off in Dec 2021 (5.75 years)
- homeline 3.2% paid off in Feb 2025 (9 years)
- mortgage 2.99% paid off Dec 2028 (12.75 years)

There's always surprises, though, so I'm adding a third onto each of those numbers.

Man, when all that's paid off I'll have almost $3,000 per month not doing anything.  Yeah, between the credit card, truck loan, trailer loan, homeline, and mortgage, I'm paying $3,000 a month.  I'll be 54 in 2028, and I'll suddenly be able to take on a $200,000 car loan (payments are $2,826.23 per month for 7 years at 4.99%, less than the $3,000 a month that suddenly became available).  I could finally buy a Ferrari!

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 09, 2016, 10:12:46 AM
The thing is I HAVE the money but I plan an allowance for myself

That's very smart.  It's not about how much you make but how much you spend - even rich doctors can get in over their heads if they spend more than they make.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 09, 2016, 11:06:13 AM
There's always surprises, though, so I'm adding a third onto each of those numbers.

And this is why paying off the big ones is always X years away, something eats away at this years payments if you arn't padding for surprises..

Quote from: Thorin on February 09, 2016, 11:06:13 AM
That's very smart.  It's not about how much you make but how much you spend - even rich doctors can get in over their heads if they spend more than they make.

Yep, it is also easier to manage as an individual than a household without turning into the penny pinching NO man. Need to go to the dentist? Na I feel it can wait till next month... Wife beaks a tooth and two kids have something come up? Time to open the wallet, even with coverage.

Thorin

Hmm, well, I recently opened my wallet because my Drobo was emailing me eight to twelve times a day that data protection had to be run (I'm guessing it was because parts of drives were becoming unresponsives).  Really not my family's fault, but that $845 I spent on drives was a surprise.  Well, kinda.  I knew I'd have to buy some new drives soon, but I hadn't specifically put money aside for it.

Money is like a stream of water.  It comes from a lake (job) and flows to buckets (things to save for).  Along the way, water gets scooped out of the stream to get used by other people to fill their lakes (bills).  If you scoop more water out, less makes it to the buckets.  What happens with the buckets?  You use them to refill your lake when it gets low (retirement).

Also maybe we need to split this thread a couple posts up?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful