Oilers 2016-17 Season: the Rise of McSavior?

Started by Mr. Analog, October 06, 2016, 09:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I haven't read Staples in a while, I get all my Oilers news from Lowetide (there's so much content there it's hard to keep up daily).  The article you linked talks about how people seem to view Eberle's play as horrible, then points out that he's not actually playing horrible (though not as good as during the first round) and that several others are performing poorly as well.

I've been watching the Oilers for years, and Eberle is playing his most defensively-responsible NHL hockey of his career, compared to even the start of last season.  Defensively-responsible hockey naturally involves less jumping the gun and odd-man rushes (except for McDavid, who can move an extra twenty feet over a typical NHL defenseman in the same amount of time going blue-to-blue).  Eberle's scoring happens on rushes and defensive breakdowns, where he has a little more space around him to make the shot, and on plays where he backhand-roofs it, again a play requiring a bit more space around the net.  He hasn't had this extra space due to a change in his style of play, and thus this year he's seen a drop-off in goals scored.  He's also seen a drop-off in goals scored against while he's on the ice.

Lucic - Nuge - Eberle as a line have thus far in the playoffs been given the task of shutting down the opponents' top two lines, and most games they do that very well.  Last game, Eberle and Lucic were moved away from Nuge and it did nothing for their games.  Best to keep that line together, they've figured each other out.

As for Eberle not hitting, I don't think he's ever been a naturally physical player.  I think at younger ages and lower levels he always danced around the hits and then kept skating, and so it's just not natural for him.  He does lay hits, that linked article even counted them as a little over one hit average per game.  But I'm sure he has to actually consciously think about it, whereas a player like Lucic or Nurse (or Peckham, or Torres) just does it without thinking.

One thing I will say, man, once the hate mob gets going on Twitter, everyone piles on.  Which is why I ignore any "news" posted on Twitter.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on May 02, 2017, 09:36:51 AM
One thing I will say, man, once the hate mob gets going on Twitter, everyone piles on.  Which is why I ignore any "news" posted on Twitter.
Yeah I typically don't follow much on Twitter in regards to Hockey, even with the Jets.

I have seen the match up of the LNE line to top SJ lines and noticed the effective shutdown work they have been doing.  Admittedly I'm dated on my image of Ebs and his role for the Oil, as I also have watched the Oilers for years, but not some much in recent years as closely as before the Jets return.  And yes the article wasn't a rip of Ebs, more a look at him now and what he does and doesn't do compared to what has been said.  Guess I have to accept his role now as what it is, and not what I remember it was.

Thanks for adding your view!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

So I don't know about you guys but I almost had to buy a new TV today!

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 04, 2017, 07:35:29 AM

I made a very loud sound, is it legal to kill a Referee in Canada? (asking for a friend)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I wasn't watching the game and even *I* felt a disturbance in the Force.

I refuse to look for video clips to reduce my chance of homicidal rage.

Mr. Analog

AT LEAST there have been some fairly funny pictures coming out of it all, at least on Facebook :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 04, 2017, 05:17:28 PM

I made a very loud sound, is it legal to kill a Referee in Canada? (asking for a friend)

Only if you can catch them with the Zamboni.

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on May 05, 2017, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 04, 2017, 05:17:28 PM

Only if you can catch them with the Zamboni.

WHERE'S FRANCIS!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Jesus Christ, there's audio of the ref reviewing the goaltender interference call, and he actually says, "My only thing is, what do I say to Corey?": https://www.reddit.com/r/EdmontonOilers/comments/69eupd/nhl_livewire_refs_discussing_the_1st_anaheim_goal/

Follow that up with Colin Campbell coming out and saying Corey Perry's known for his goaltender interference, it's known to be one of his strengths, he's "pretty cute" at doing those things, but they decided to "give him the benefit of the doubt".

What absolute horse@%&#.  If a player is known for breaking a rule all the time, punish him more, not less!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Thorin

Jesus @%&#ing Christ, what pure utter @%&#ing horse@%&# of a stupid @%&#ing call.

Kesler is completely in the blue paint and grabbing and pulling on Talbot's pad and somehow the refs decide in record time that's not goalie interference! And that's not even considering Perry running into Talbot just before it.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

I am only now seeing the high lights as I was in a movie at 11 (we were at the VIP lounge watching the game until 5m left in the third).  And when I shut of my phone the oilers were still in a 3-0 lead with 4m to go. Imagine surprise to find out the loss after I get out, and now my anger at seeing why.

I can not imagine how it felt in real time, but suspect even more harsh of a blow :(

So  WTF is goalie interference?  Whom ever calls Lucic with the answer needs to call us next.

Darren Dirt

I searched online for just "Oilers goalie" and skimmed recent headlines from various news sites, I swear the CANADIAN ones are all like "referees stiff Oilers AGAIN..." while AMERICAN ones are all like "Ducks incredible comeback win..."

Darren Dirt