Main Menu

President Trump

Started by Thorin, November 09, 2016, 08:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I'm stunned.

Not only President Trump, but the Republicans also control the Senate and the House. So there's no way for Democrats to stop him from enacting his policies. Which are?

- build a wall on the Mexican border
- deport about 11 million people
- bomb the hell out of ISIS
- withdraw many American troops from overseas deployments if other countries don't send him money
- cancel NAFTA
- cut taxes for the rich and the corporations
- bomb the families of terrorists
- jail his political opponent
- reduce troop levels in NATO member countries
- support Crimea's referendum as legitimate, even though an overwhelming majority of experts say it was highly suspect
- change libel laws so he can sue the newspapers when they publish things that are true but cast him in a bad light
- sue the women that accused him of unwanted groping, kissing, and/or sexual touching
- cancel ongoing and stop new immigration of refugees from Syria

Anything else I missed? I intentionally left out Make America Great Again and Drain The Swamp because those are just slogans with no discernible possible actions.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I think there was also talk of dismantling Obamacare

Either way, I am stunned
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Ah yes

- repeal Obamacare (the Affordable Care Act) and replace it with some unspecified "better" plan
- tell companies to move their factories back to the US
- slap a high tariff on the products of any company that used to produce them in the US but then moved production to other countries
- re-align the US military to work hand-in-hand with the Russian military in supporting Bashar al-Assad's Syrian government
- spend a trillion dollars on infrastructure, repairing old and building new (no detailed list, and no explanation where the money for this comes from)
- invade the middle east (Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia) and take their oil by force
- withdraw all troops from the middle east and let them fight it out themselves
- sell nuclear weapons to South Korea and North Korea and let them fight it out
- make abortion illegal
- invoke the death penalty for the Central Park Five even though they're innocent (this one is just nuts - they've been proven through DNA evidence not to have been guilty and investigators have recently revealed that they pressured the Central Park Five into false confessions due to political pressure)

I'm sure there was more.

What is scary for me is that full control of the government (House of Congress, Senate, Presidency) means that it is only people in his own party that stand in his way.  And they're all worried for their political lives, so they're not likely to oppose him.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Sad day for the world it is... sad day.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Oh, I forgot

- while reducing troop levels in other countries, increase military spending by a half a trillion over ten years
- increase the number of soldiers, warplanes, warships, and missiles in the military
- increase troop levels in other countries (yes, completely opposite to that other thing he said about reducing troop levels)
- pay off the US federal debt ($21,000,000,000,000 or 21 trillion) in eight years
- borrow a ton of money at low interest rates (thus increasing the US federal debt) to pay for all his plans (I don't know how anyone with an ounce of knowledge about money could think that you can both pay off your debt and also increase your debt at the same time)
- start a trade war with China
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

This party also supports "conversion therapy" pseudoscience which treats sexuality as a disease and leads to a significant number of suicides
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Almost forgot, Trump repeatedly promised a database to track people based on their faith (Muslim) and they would be required to carry a special ID
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Here's one I'd completely forgotten about:

- borrow money because interest rates are historically low, and if interest rates go up, renegotiate the debt with those that lent the money (in other words, have the US government borrow money and then not pay it back)

Out of all of these policies I've heard him propose, the only one that makes any sense to me is the investment in infrastructure.  Better roads, better water delivery, cleaner hospitals, better-funded schools for all, bridges that don't collapse; these are things that will benefit American society.

---

And yes, then there's the things the Republican party supports that are just pugnacious, like the "conversion therapy" you mention, or the "abstinence-only sex education" that has yielded an explosion of teen pregnancies because kids didn't know they could get pregnant having sex (no one was allowed to tell them that!).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 09, 2016, 09:53:12 AM
Almost forgot, Trump repeatedly promised a database to track people based on their faith (Muslim) and they would be required to carry a special ID

I had not heard of this.  As a European immigrant with parents who lived through the second world war, this causes visions of the horrors I've heard aunts and uncles tell when I was young, when they thought I wasn't listening.  Jews wearing stars, many neighbours reporting Jews-in-hiding, and then many Jews being found through extensive birth registers (databases).  There were many people who never practiced the Jewish faith, who had an ancestor two or three generations previously who was Jewish, and therefore they were marked as a Jew and deported to the concentration camps.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

To be fair he says a lot of garbage without thinking but the ramifications of saying things like this are that people support it and grow it

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/opinions/obeidallah-trump-anti-muslim/

It's terrifying when you really think about it

Closing borders, mass deportations, profiling based on race / religion... back in the 80s these the were the things we were supposed to be afraid of, things regimes like the USSR and the PRC did
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

wikipedia / The Great Meme War

;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.