• Welcome to Righteous Wrath Online Community. Please login or sign up.

October 30, 2020, 03:53:16 AM

Shaw's faster upload speeds

Started by Thorin, September 25, 2020, 10:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I switched last month to the new Shaw Fibre+ Gig plan, from my old Shaw 300 plan.  It was advertised as 1000Mbps down 25Mbps up (piddling up speed, I know), as compared to 300 down / 15 up that I had.  I made the switch because I wanted to take advantage of Shaw Mobile's $0 By The Gig plan for my youngest, who barely uses any data and will always be in the Shaw service area.  Saved us $45 a month.

It was a painful process because the customer service rep on the phone didn't listen when I said I needed my modem to be left bridged and that I couldn't bridge the old modem myself.  But that eventually got sorted out (meaning I crawled around and rewired things and switched all the wireless devices over to the default Shaw SSID for a few days, then switched it all back when the new modem came).

Anyway, last week a coworker had noticed Shaw was advertising 1000 down / 100 up for new customers, and I lamented my slow speed.  Well, turns out they turned it up for existing customers, too, so now I have 1000/100 on my internet pipe.

Well, pretty close.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah seems the North end is getting it before the south. I have a buddy in Castledowns that got the 1000/100 but I haven't gotten it yet here in Summerside.  Shaw support told be by end of October all of Edmonton will have the new speeds.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I'm still at 300 down, but for me that's more than enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, for me it's more about the upload speed, because I now have a half dozen users that use my plex server remotely.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

September 27, 2020, 10:48:01 AM #6 Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:53:54 AM by Tom
Dang skippy. I may have to bug them. I'd like a ipv6 capable modem too. They say they can't/won't do ipv6 for my older modem but the newer bluecurve and on ones do. But a lot more upload? eff yeah.

My plan is the older "My Internet 300" plan, so like only 16mbps.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

You'll likely have to sign a two year contract, but you might find the price the same or better for better speeds.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 27, 2020, 07:01:27 PMYou'll likely have to sign a two year contract, but you might find the price the same or better for better speeds.
I'm already on a 2 year contract. They've let me extend it in the past as well when changing my plan.

But the current 300mbps plan is more than I'm paying right now. I'm paying $94.50 after tax etc. $113 - promo + tax. So my promo price is rather nice compared to what they have now. they are taking 24$ off rather than the current $10.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!