Nintendo Revoloution Controller i.e. ergonomics-shmergonomis

Started by Mr. Analog, September 16, 2005, 07:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

It looks something that would work well with the old CD-i or 3DO system, or possibly some weird remote control for a cheap ass DVD player.

Article
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Damn, you posted this before me.. knew I should have checked the forums before.. umm checking my critical work messages.. :lol:

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Lazybones"Damn, you posted this before me.
Only by a couple hours... ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

This thing looks like a bad idea. Why do I come to such a distinctly negative conclusion on first sight of the Revolution's controller?

Because it doesn't have enough buttons on the base unit for pick-up-and-play control of even Gameboy Advance games. Nintendo games, yes. Anything beyond that without needing to scrabble around for a controller plug-in? Shoulder buttons? No.

This is a concern for me because the major draw for me following the announcement of the Revolution was the sweet, temptuous idea of being able to hook it up the internet and legitimately download and play older Nintendo games (that I don't currently own already) in ADDITION to being able to play some of the Gamecube games I wish I had. A controller that allows me to pick up and play right away adds serious value to the purchasing decision, and the unveiled controller doesn't look like it has that in mind at all.

Also: two A buttons. <sarcasam>Oh yeah, nobody's mom will EVER get that confused.</sarcasam>

Shayne

HAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.  Sorry, but thats all i can muster.

Remember that old VideoTron box that had like games and stuff in it?  Thats what it reminds me of.

Anyone got a site with some user feedback, i wanna see what the general impression is?  So far though im thinking that Xbox360 has the best of the next gen (as ive seen some pretty harsh words about the PS3 Boomarang)

Thorin

What an interesting "Revolution". :P

Reading through the description, the controllers actually sound intuitive and useful.  Wonder how they'll fit in little hands, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Then again, it might just be the Japanese controller, who knows what they might sell to the North American consumers...?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

My first concern is the total lack of buttons, modern sports games need a butt-load.  My second concern is the non-linked holding thing, as in my left hand having to hold a secondary device while my primary hand has to wave around the other device to move and such.

I dont understand.  Has nintendo finally decided to become a "niche" company?  I cant wait for Zelda on the 360.

Mr. Analog

I can't see that controller being fun to use for anything but RPGs. There's no way I could play NHL or Street Fighter on that.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Shayne"HAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.  Sorry, but thats all i can muster.

Remember that old VideoTron box that had like games and stuff in it?  Thats what it reminds me of.

Anyone got a site with some user feedback, i wanna see what the general impression is?  So far though im thinking that Xbox360 has the best of the next gen (as ive seen some pretty harsh words about the PS3 Boomarang)

Oh yeah, Videotron -- that Pinball game was teh addictive r0x0rs!

But this controller looks pathetic. What, did the Apple designers have some "dirt" on the Nintendo decision makers and so got to sneak in something pretty, but horribly nonfunctional? :P

Or will it be amazingly intuitive? I'm sure that's their goal:

QuoteThe controller for Nintendo's upcoming Revolution home console system is a cordless remote-control-like device designed to be used with only one hand. Two small sensors placed near the TV and a chip inside the controller track its position and orientation, allowing the player to manipulate the action on screen by physically moving the controller itself. For example, you could slash an in-game sword by actually swinging the controller from side to side, turn a race car just by twisting your wrist, or aim your gun in a shooter by pointing the controller where you want to fire.

Some were speculating when the first photos of the new XBox controller came out, that there would be gyros and the like. Looks like Nintendo is basically doing that. But, yeah, I'll believe that when I see it in action...  :roll: [/skeptical]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

*whistles appreciately*

Okay so when these are in the stores, you just know they'll have a 5 minute "test drive" time limit  8)

Lazybones

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"*whistles appreciately*

Okay so when these are in the stores, you just know they'll have a 5 minute "test drive" time limit  8)

And be tethered by some odd display unit that doesn't let you hold it right.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Lazybones"
Quote from: "Darren Dirt"*whistles appreciately*

And be tethered by some odd display unit that doesn't let you hold it right.
I'm thinking they'll just use Mr. T to hold it while you try the NR out, I mean it's not like he's busy...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Yes, you can have a NORMAL style controller, and its WIRELESS!!!

More controller info, and a shot of the "remote" docked inside a GameCube style adaptor.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html

EDIT:  ONLY AN IGN MOCK UP.. Damn CGI / Photo shop!!!!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Lazybones"Game Spy has the full presentation

The full presentation sure clarifies some things. Looks they are really trying to appeal to the family members who never even think of getting into gaming... and yet keep both the hardcore and retro gamer fans happy too. I personally hope this succeeds, isn't just some poor gyro technology, because it could potentially

"Revolutionize"

the way games are designed.  8)

More work for devs, sure, but well worth it in the long run!  :D

Tonnica

Quote from: "Lazybones"Yes, you can have a NORMAL style controller, and its WIRELESS!!!

EDIT:  ONLY AN IGN MOCK UP.. Damn CGI / Photo shop!!!!!!

Even if it's only a mock-up then I can almost declare "problem solved!" if something like that will come with the remote-controller. Not only would that solve the pick-up-and-play-needs-more-buttons issue but it'd also mean that all controllers would be remote by default. Sweet.