Computer died, and tells me "System Failed CPU Test"

Started by Thorin, January 29, 2008, 10:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I pretty much agree with Lazy, spend the required time to research components and build yourself, or go get a decently spec-ed Dell.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

So looked somemore to find this computer... man is futureshop's specs listing as vague as is their product description: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10097964&catid=10607&logon=&langid=EN#.  Not a single manufacturer listed on the components, save the Monitor.  Nor can I find what Acer model this is, other than it is an Aspire line, which I found out from the blow up picture (AM5620-E5301A looks like an Acer model number, but can't find it on their site).

Which means it must be one of these 4 if it is a new system: http://www.acer.ca/public/page3.do?sp=page3&inu23.current=476&dau7.oid=476&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=27&CountryISOCtxParam=CA&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=Canada&crc=1434118929.  This is the closest one I can find to the model (based on the model numbers being similar): http://www.acer.ca/public/page4.do?link=oln56.redirect&dau22.oid=35201&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=27&CountryISOCtxParam=CA&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=Canada&crc=3296561745 but the video card is wrong, and it still doesn't say what manufacturers are of the components (Acer doesn't make HDs, and I think they may still be in the RAM market, but not 100% sure anymore).

So on a hunch I checked http://www.acer.com.  I originally tried this site instead of the .ca, but got a 403.9 Access Forbidden page.  Works now, and think I found the system: http://global.acer.com/products/desktop/asm5620.htm - although I am guessing based on that part # on FS's site.  But when I try to get the computer specs from acer.com, it doesn't work: http://www.acer.com/APP/AKC/INTERNET/AACPubli.nsf/HeadingPagesDisplay/Products?OpenDocument&ML1& - get a 403 page not found error.

Let me just say that Acer's pages are some of the hardest to navigate I've ever found!  Pop-ups galor from links... who does that anymore?

Sorry I couldn't find more on it.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Thanks for looking, though.

Futureshop, Best Buy, Visions The Brick, they're all notorious for taking a manufacturer's model number and adding to it or changing it slightly.  This is so that you can't do a price-comparison against the same model at a competitor's store - they simply claim it's a different model number so it's not the same.  I learned this way back when I bought my stereo (from The Brick), and it was reinforced when I bought my big-screen (from Futureshop).  Both times I asked them to price-match and they pointed out the model number was different.  Of course, they still price-matched because otherwise they would have lost a thousand-dollar-plus sale...

Anyway, Acer's base stats for this machine can be found here:
http://www.acer.ca/public/page3.do?sp=page3&inu23.current=476&dau7.oid=476&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=27&CountryISOCtxParam=CA&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=Canada&crc=1434118929

Doesn't list the hard drive or video card or RAM, which is what you're after to check, right?

I am now looking at Dells, although I'm also wondering how the hell I'm going to pay for this :(
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

I wonder if the shrinking of Dell support centers in Canada will have any effect on the support I might get if I purchase a Dell?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 31, 2008, 03:23:06 PM
I wonder if the shrinking of Dell support centers in Canada will have any effect on the support I might get if I purchase a Dell?
Regular support would probably have put you on to a Texan or Indian support rep.

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 30, 2008, 10:10:46 AM
I'm gonna part out my old machine to Thorin I think...

Any chance I can pick up these parts this weekend and try 'em out in my machine?  You mentioned that it's sorta loud but I want to see what it's like in this here big case.  If it's quiet like the other machine was (which was not *really* quiet but at least muffled) I think you'll have a deal.  Also, I'll be able to get at my financials on the hard drive (I don't think this ol' Dell can't properly access a 200GB drive, so I can't just hook it up <sigh>).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on February 01, 2008, 01:47:00 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 30, 2008, 10:10:46 AM
I'm gonna part out my old machine to Thorin I think...

Any chance I can pick up these parts this weekend and try 'em out in my machine?  You mentioned that it's sorta loud but I want to see what it's like in this here big case.  If it's quiet like the other machine was (which was not *really* quiet but at least muffled) I think you'll have a deal.  Also, I'll be able to get at my financials on the hard drive (I don't think this ol' Dell can't properly access a 200GB drive, so I can't just hook it up <sigh>).

I'm a tad busy this weekend, how about Monday?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I went out and bought a USB drive enclosure so that I could hook up the hard drive from the dead machine to a living machine, and now I can access my financials.  Yay!

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy two new computers, although not necessarily ones to brag about.

I definitely wanted to stick to WinXP after reading the various reviews where they actually record RAM usage and such - if I'm buying a lower-end machine, I don't want to bog it down with more OS work than needed.

So here's what I'm buying:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 processor (4MB L2 cache, 2.33GHz, 1,333MHz FSB)
- I was considering the E2180 (1MB L2, 2.00GHz, 800MHz FSB), but the E6550 was only $90 more so it made sense
2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
- More than enough for XP Home and my purposes
250GB SATA drive
On-board Intel GMA 3100 video
- If we start playing games that really need graphical power, I can always buy a video card and pop it in
On-board audio
On-board LAN
19" Widescreen Flat Panel
Windows XP Home
- I was considering XP Pro, but after going over this list of differences several times, I realized I don't use any of what Pro has to offer
Sundry items (keyboard and mouse free, speakers for $10, and removed the modem to save $10)

Base price was $599, upgrading to the E6550 drove that up to $689, and buying speakers but removing the modem left it at $689.  After GST and Environment Disposal Fee, the total is $746.55 for one.  I'm buying two, so there goes $1,493.10.  If Dell's website ever starts working again <sigh> "Down for maintenance"

I tried to build an equal system at Memory Express, but the closest I could get had a 160GB SATA drive and the cheapest motherboard I could find, and it still came out to $1,662.09 for two computers after GST and "ADS" for the monitors.  That's $168.99 more than the Dell systems, and the Dell systems will probably be quieter.

This will be a huge step up for my family - I have an AMD XP 3000+, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 sitting here dead, and a Pentium 4 1.3GHz, 384MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 64MB ATI Radeon 7500 that I'm using as the main computer these days.  Once I've set up the new Dells, I'll be passing my trusty old P4 1.3GHz to my mother, who is using a Pentium II 350MHz, 320MB RAM, 20GB HDD, 32MB nVidia...  Yes, she's running WinXP on it!  Not very quickly, though, and with a 15" screen.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the advice that was given.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Mr. Analog

LOL, I guess you won't need those parts anymore haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 04, 2008, 08:54:30 AM
My server is having issues ;) I can't afford to pay for misc parts this month, but I wouldn't mind playing with them next month ;) (already spent 120$ on a new psu, and $40 for a new mini-pci nic for my laptop)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on February 04, 2008, 09:16:08 AM
My server is having issues ;) I can't afford to pay for misc parts this month, but I wouldn't mind playing with them next month ;) (already spent 120$ on a new psu, and $40 for a new mini-pci nic for my laptop)

Well, I wasn't giving them away. Even if I was they may be spoken for already... sorry :-/
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 04, 2008, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: Tom on February 04, 2008, 09:16:08 AM

Well, I wasn't giving them away. Even if I was they may be spoken for already... sorry :-/
I know :P Thats why I said I couldn't take them now, but would take them later :P (since I can't pay for parts now :P)